User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Spectral
(committed) Thu 19-Jan-12 16:00:56
Print Post

VPN advice needed

[link to this post]

I currently have my PC set to use a VPN using windows settings, which works fine. However I would also like other devices such as the PS3 to be able to go through the VPN. Obviously sky's routers dont have the options to input VPN details. I I were to buy a cheap wireless router than can run WD-DRT configured to use the VPN, hook that up to one of the ethernet ports on the sky router then have the other devices connected to the WD-DRT compatible router would those devices then be accessing the internet via the VPN or am I overlooking something. I know I could just completely replace the sky router with one that supports vpn but they are significantly more expensive and I also want to be able to take the new router to relatives houses when staying there.
Standard User haggismn
(newbie) Thu 19-Jan-12 17:04:25
Print Post

Re: VPN advice needed

[re: Spectral] [link to this post]

If you use openvpn or PPTP then the WNR-2000 V2 router is what you should look for. It was given out to vm users a while back, and many are unused. You can pick up one for <£10. I have mine configured to do nothing but log into the vpn, works from anywhere.

You dont replace the current router, you plug from a standard ethernet port on the sky router into the WAN port on the new router.
Standard User Spectral
(committed) Thu 19-Jan-12 17:14:26
Print Post

[re: haggismn] [link to this post]

Do you know the best place to pick one up?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User haggismn
(newbie) Thu 19-Jan-12 17:59:28
Print Post

Ebay. I've even seen them on freecycle; you might get lucky if you put up a request. You can get them in Currys/PC World I believe but they are much more expensive, and you can't tell what version it is until its opened. It has to be V2.
Standard User Spectral
(committed) Thu 19-Jan-12 18:08:51
Print Post

Thanks. Does it need the firmware replacing or does it support VPN out of the box?
Standard User haggismn
(newbie) Thu 19-Jan-12 18:31:17
Print Post

You need DD-WRT, openvpn-small version. First put on the wnr2000v2 chk file, then put on the openvpn-small bin file. After that hold in the reset button for a while, switch off, then switch on again, holding the reset button. Everything will then be ready.

DD-WRT
Standard User Spectral
(committed) Sat 21-Jan-12 19:25:06
Print Post

Is the Openvpn-small bin file needed if I am only using PPTP? If I do is it a case of just ftping both files over then doing the reset thing? How is the chk file installed?
  Print Thread

Jump to