User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User thecarer1
(newbie) Wed 01-Feb-12 15:44:51
Print Post

sky broadband speed

[link to this post]

Hi Guys

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this dilemma that ive been having with sky this past year.

now ive been ringing up sky this past year regarding about the best speed i can get my broadband to go and ive been told so many different stories by sky and i dont think im getting the speed i supposed to be getting.

two years ago i was getting slow speeds and i rang sky and they sorted it out and i was getting a 2.3mb line and everything was fine but lately my speed as been going down again.

According to the sky website i should be getting a line anything between 2.6-7mb line but thats not happening

now ive been reading other posts on here and ive got better router stats than some people and they are getting faster speeds than me

so any help whatsoever would be greatful and heres my router stats if you want to see them

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 5208559 6884929 0 4903 12100 75:14:43
LAN 100M/Full 184139 0 0 110 0 75:15:33
WLAN 11M/54M 6965120 5714485 0 12493 5651 75:15:21
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1980 kbps 413 kbps
Line Attenuation 61 db 40 db
Noise Margin 8 db 15 db
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Feb-12 16:07:56
Print Post

Re: sky broadband speed

[re: thecarer1] [link to this post]

You have high attenuation. The speed you will get depends on how much noise there is on the line and that is not directly affected by the attenuation.

Have you done everything possible to remove anything in your own house that might cause line issues? Ideally you want to have the router directly connected into the test socket (via a filter) and see what speeds you get there. If they were better then it would suggest a problem within the house.
Standard User thecarer1
(newbie) Wed 01-Feb-12 16:43:11
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Trust me ian that ive tried everything and my speed hasnt changed at all

ive even been told by 4 people at sky that i should be getting at least between 2-5 and 3mb but im getting lower than that

the only thing that i can say at the moment is that my router is over 4 years old so do you think that might have something to do with it

like i said before in my previous message that sky put me on a 2.3mb line a couple of years ago and everything was fine but its been dropping down these last few months

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 01-Feb-12 18:03:38
Print Post

The word should is perhaps a bit too strong.

While 2.5 or even 3 is possible at 61dB attenuation, you are within the bounds of what I would say is normal, though at the lower end of it.

Only thing to check is restart the modem and get the stats immediately. If downstream noise margin is 8 or 9dB then you might want to request a change to a setting of 6dB. This will give you perhaps 0.3 to 0.5 Mbps extra speed.

If you get a blank answer, ask for the gamer profile

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User thecarer1
(newbie) Wed 01-Feb-12 18:26:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well thats what i was told by sky Mr Saffron and skys website says that my line should hold anything between 2.6 and 7mb so who should i believe on this

at this moment i rang up sky 4 days ago about the speed i was getting and they have put me on the 10 day training period again to see what the best speed i can get so ill have to see what happens
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 01-Feb-12 20:48:57
Print Post

7 Mbps - never that would be a world record at 61dB attenuation.

2.6 is possible, as I said a lowering of the target noise margin will get you close.

No need for Sky to re-learn via the DLM, its logic has not changed, so if line behaving the same way you will end up at the same speed.

It needs someone to lower your target noise margin, or set you to the gamer profile

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User thecarer1
(newbie) Wed 01-Feb-12 20:59:49
Print Post

you will have to forgive me Andrew as im a complete novice at this kind of stuff but the one thing i cant get my head around is that ive read on some different websites and people are getting a faster speed that im getting now but have got a higher attenuation than me so what could cause this to happen.

do you think i should reset my router then and post my stats up on here and see where we go from there or just ring sky again and ask them to drop my noise margin

as for the gamer profile... what do you mean by that

thanks again
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 01-Feb-12 21:28:35
Print Post

Gamer profile is if memory has not failed me is one of the DLM profile options Sky use.

1800Kbps to 2373Kbps, possibly an extra 0.5Meg from ADSL2 is what my farina1 site estimates based on your current figures. Am interested to hear what sort of figures others are getting?

We have seen the odd rare 3Meg sync at these speeds, but it is rare.

You can do either, a reset of the router does nothing exciting, just lets us confirm what your target margin is.

As for those getting faster speeds, actual data rather than heresay, as I've seen lots of people claim lots of things, but on inspection there is a good reason. For example attenuation is lower for a neighbour, for example if you dragged your house closer to the exchange to shorten the run of copper by 3dB you might gain 0.5 to 1Meg

Standard User thecarer1
(newbie) Wed 01-Feb-12 21:46:27
Print Post

thanks for the advice you have given me Andrew and ill reset my router tomorrow and ill post the stats on here and ill see what you say about them

as regarding the other figures people are getting... i can copy and paste them for you if you are interested in seeing them
Standard User The_Jimster
(committed) Wed 01-Feb-12 23:40:41
Print Post

i would be, i have just moved over to virgin from sky due to line length (no in not gonna gripe about sky - i cant fault their service) but when i was on that for a good 4+years or so i reckon, i had 59.5-60 as my "magic" number and with that i always got a rock solid 3.5meg i did used to get higher (only by about .5meg) but line was unstable so when i called sky they done some work on the background and from that point, rock solid line speed 24/7 that never changed

so as for getting much higher speeds - i would like to see some stats as i reckon i had good speeds and my line was better than yours
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to