User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Wed 08-Feb-12 02:20:44
Print Post

sky - postoffice

[link to this post]

hi didn't know weather to post in the post-office or sky but seen as will be moving to post-office but currently still with sky decided to post in here,

Right im wanting to move to the post office next month for my phone line (after sky contract is up) im wanting the go with a FTTC broadband provider with a 10meg upload without going directly with BT Retail for phone due to personal reasons against BT retail and the fact the PO is only a 1month contract & BT is 18 month and ironically dearer but anyway to the point,

Currently my phone is with sky (Supposed to be full LLU) never been with BT started off VM cable then moved the number to sky who had BTOR fit the line for me was a new line from pole as the orig was ripped out years ago,

Anyway i rung the post office up to get a bit of info ready about moving my number to them and the nice lady basically said if your line is BT based yes very easy if its not then may be possible but might not either but if its not possible you free to cancel the order & if you want i can check this for you now with no obligation to proceed today, I said yes could you check now for me,

Anyway about 30 seconds later she said oh good your line is BT based we can 100% transfer your number no problems. Which puzzled me a bit as im supposed to be on full LLU with sky i explained this to her & she asked who i pay my rental to i said SKY and all she could think of is maybe that skys phone hardware was filled up and they put me on a BT based PSTN (like what the post office them selfs use) and just put me on there LLU BB.

Dose anyone know if this is likely to be the case or is it just some fluke on her system i dont want to proceed with the order for them to come to me half way and say oh sorry we've swapped your line over but lost your number, to it actually been on sky full LLU and they wouldn't let us take it.

I have noticed an odd thing if i put my sky number in any BT based checker i always get speed estimates were as if i try my talktalk number i get the number dont exist or its LLU error message

Thanks for any info someone could shine on the subject

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Feb-12 02:39:25
Print Post

Re: sky - postoffice

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
hi didn't know weather to post in the post-office or sky but seen as will be moving to post-office but currently still with sky decided to post in here,

Right im wanting to move to the post office next month for my phone line (after sky contract is up) im wanting the go with a FTTC broadband provider with a 10meg upload without going directly with BT Retail for phone due to personal reasons against BT retail and the fact the PO is only a 1month contract & BT is 18 month and ironically dearer but anyway to the point,

Currently my phone is with sky (Supposed to be full LLU) never been with BT started off VM cable then moved the number to sky who had BTOR fit the line for me was a new line from pole as the orig was ripped out years ago,

Anyway i rung the post office up to get a bit of info ready about moving my number to them and the nice lady basically said if your line is BT based yes very easy if its not then may be possible but might not either but if its not possible you free to cancel the order & if you want i can check this for you now with no obligation to proceed today, I said yes could you check now for me,

Anyway about 30 seconds later she said oh good your line is BT based we can 100% transfer your number no problems. Which puzzled me a bit as im supposed to be on full LLU with sky i explained this to her & she asked who i pay my rental to i said SKY and all she could think of is maybe that skys phone hardware was filled up and they put me on a BT based PSTN (like what the post office them selfs use) and just put me on there LLU BB.

Dose anyone know if this is likely to be the case or is it just some fluke on her system i dont want to proceed with the order for them to come to me half way and say oh sorry we've swapped your line over but lost your number, to it actually been on sky full LLU and they wouldn't let us take it.

I have noticed an odd thing if i put my sky number in any BT based checker i always get speed estimates were as if i try my talktalk number i get the number dont exist or its LLU error message

Ash
MMM, have you tried inputting your number into any adsl checkers of other isp's if they give an list of available services and a estimated speed, then there a good chance that you are only SMFP LLU with sky, in particular if you joined sky prior to 1st Sept 11 as they would only put customers on FMPF Full LLU if the newer sky kit had been installed in the exchange, if not then you would be on the older Easynet Stinger DSLAM So it could be good news if you are only SMPF partial LLU as all you will need is a Mac code to get the BB switched over, As the PTSN if BT WLR or what ever it's name is these days , can be swapped without issues between providers who resell BT lines, Getting the MAC maybe the hardest part, as sky may not acknowledge that you aren't Full LLU at the start

Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Wed 08-Feb-12 11:35:14
Print Post

Re: sky - postoffice

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
In reply to a post by acpsd775:

Ash
MMM, have you tried inputting your number into any adsl checkers of other isp's if they give an list of available services and a estimated speed, then there a good chance that you are only SMFP LLU with sky, in particular if you joined sky prior to 1st Sept 11 as they would only put customers on FMPF Full LLU if the newer sky kit had been installed in the exchange, if not then you would be on the older Easynet Stinger DSLAM So it could be good news if you are only SMPF partial LLU as all you will need is a Mac code to get the BB switched over, As the PTSN if BT WLR or what ever it's name is these days , can be swapped without issues between providers who resell BT lines, Getting the MAC maybe the hardest part, as sky may not acknowledge that you aren't Full LLU at the start

Thanks for the info i had it fitted last march if i put my number into the post office checker it tells me i can get X meg same with plus net BT Retail dslchecker.bt.com & BE all give me speed estimates

Odd you mention easy net i always found it odd that if i did a tracert i always get easy net in it instead of sky and i actualy presumed i had been put on there hardware but with the hpone bib i never thought it made a diff lol as you see my first hop after my own router is Easynet

Tracing route to BBC.co.uk [212.58.241.131]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms MyRouter.Home [192.168.0.1]
2 27 ms 27 ms 27 ms cr0.sldr.uk.easynet.net
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 38 ms 39 ms 38 ms ip-89-200-131-117.ov.easynet.net [89.200.131.117
]
5 36 ms 34 ms 35 ms 89.200.131.177
6 59 ms 34 ms 35 ms 212.58.238.189
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 34 ms 33 ms 32 ms ae1.er01.rbsov.bbc.co.uk [132.185.254.46]
9 45 ms 33 ms 33 ms 132.185.254.142
10 32 ms 32 ms 32 ms virtual-vip-231.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.241.131]

Trace complete.

So if that's the case makes things a lot easier

Although if my line is a WLR line or w.e its called dose that mean i should actually be able to just order my new broadband and keep my line rental with sky seen as it dose detect as a BT line to all the checkers or will i still need to change it to doubly make sure it will work with other providers, I actual like sky line rental its good value just i want FTTC with a 10meg upload unlimited usage and not BT infinity lol so choices are limited to the digital region network (in south Yorkshire ) at the minute hence needing the BT based line lol

Thanks Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps

Edited by acpsd775 (Wed 08-Feb-12 12:13:17)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to