User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Heidfirst
(newbie) Wed 15-Feb-12 13:09:08
Print Post

Thinking of changing to Sky bb & phone

[link to this post]

Hi folks,

I've been with O2 for the last 3 years on their legacy Premium bb & 'phone line & am now out of contract.
I rarely use the landline for calls & get ~14 meg download.
I have no problems with their service, billing, cs etc. but am looking at joining Sky because I can get £100 cashback via Quidco which will half my annual cost this year - O2 can match the monthly cost but not the cashback.
I have requested & received a MAC.

I believe that Sky locally (Scotstoun exchange) has a similar download speed on LLU but I know nothing of the service level or how good CS are if required.
I also want to avoid being left without phone/bb for any period during changeover if possible.

So, would you?
Any advice or info appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Feb-12 13:33:48
Print Post

Re: Thinking of changing to Sky bb & phone

[re: Heidfirst] [link to this post]

Hi,

When I first joined Sky there was no line to my property, took 3 weeks to get the line up, I've just moved and took 2 weeks to swap over... You should see very little in the way of downtime though as your migrating, if you have a little bit of overlap a few hours tops.

Speeds on the whole are top notch, at least here on the Whitstable exchange, I get a full 20Meg connection and see throughput that matches that practically all the time. Have seen some slowdowns now and again but nothing that would make the connection unusable, to be honest I only noticed coz I was throwing some big files about for work, browsing you wouldn’t have noticed.

CS have seemed reasonable the 2 times I have called, you do read some horror stories though as you do with all ISPs.

The router supplied is OK I suppose, seems stable enough, a bit light on “Advanced” features but if you need them there are ways to setup your existing equipment for use on the line, there seems to be some debate on this contractually, my understanding is that its tolerated but not supported…

Sky Anytime+ is fantastic even more so if you have the movie packages smile

--
Mart.
Sky Unlimited
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Feb-12 16:55:38
Print Post

[re: madmart] [link to this post]

Not disagreeing with what you have said but want to offer an alternative perspective.

Sky is indeed good for speeds. However, I moved from Be to Sky and on doing so both my downstream and upstream speeds reduced. This is due to them using a 7dB target noise margin which last me about 30% upstream and 10% downstream. Compared to Be (barring current Be issues) they are not as flexible in their technology setup.

Moving to Sky means taking their phone too. Not a big issue but at the moment moving away from full LLU is not easy. Ofcom are currently consulting on sorting this out but I am not comfortable having full LLU at this time - but in 12 months at the end of contract that may be different.

Anytime+ is OK but I have to say I lost interest in it as it didn't have the range of content. As of April it should be available on other ISPs so is no longer a differentiator for Sky Broadband.

So, for a low cost service it is excellent (actually if it was high cost it would still be excellent). There are technically better ISPs but Sky aren't bad. Biggest concern - full LLU.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iand
(experienced) Wed 15-Feb-12 18:07:52
Print Post

changed phone and BB over to SKY. Both were changed when I was out. I noticed the BB was down. replaced with the SKY router and was running again in minutes.

As others have said SKY run as a 7db level, my pevious was on 3db. What did that mean. I lost about 2M download. This was not a problem as most of the time there are only 2 people using the line at the same time so we do not notice any difference.

IanD
Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Feb-12 19:34:33
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Nope agree with all you say there, if I had thought about it more probably would have added something similar. smile

--
Mart.
Sky Unlimited
Standard User dcsarge
(regular) Sat 18-Feb-12 16:01:16
Print Post

I have just made the jump from O2 to Sky after a lot of consideration, the final decider being the absence of FTTC for me this year. I have been getting 10Mb down/1Mb up with O2 so anything around that will be fine by me. I should be changed over on 1st March hopefully without any major downtime.

I did look at the cashback deals but in the end I was offered a good deal on my other Sky subs too, including a new 1Tb HD box for £49 (self install but no £15 charge). On top of that I was given 6 months free BB Unlimited, 6 months 1/2 price Movies (no contract) and 8 months 1/2 price HD pack, it was much less hassle to deal direct. The box was a welcome deal, as I wanted to source some HD boxes to replace our 2 multiroom boxes and they are way too expensive via Sky's website for existing customers.

The fact I was willing to move my phone and internet services appeared to have swung things in my favour, as this deal was done by first line CS and not Retentions smile. It is worth checking out your enitre Sky package for a deal if you are after any extras.
Standard User DJS
(member) Mon 20-Feb-12 14:05:54
Print Post

Well I moved to Sky from O2 almost a year ago and have had no problems at all. The switchover went very smoothly and their BB has worked since day one. No complaints at all here.

Print Thread

Jump to