User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Tue 21-Feb-12 19:10:20
Print Post

Sky just gone live at parents house!

[link to this post]

Due to financial matters I am moving back to my parents a week saturday.

Unfortunately this meant going from my lovely 24MB BE connection to whatever I can get with Sky! My parents live on the outskirts of the town so know that my connection will take a massive hit.

I went up there today and plugged the router in as activated yesterday and have left it to do its 10 day thing.

I had a look at the connection stats and was synced at 3mb down 0.6 up. Attenuation was 45db down and SNR was 6.6. Obviously I know the connection isn't set. Would love to go home in 10 days and find it at 24 but know its not gonna happen. Does 3MB seem about the maxiumum given the stats?

BE 24MB:
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,433 / 23,389
Standard User MikeL
(regular) Wed 22-Feb-12 17:57:44
Print Post

Re: Sky just gone live at parents house!

[re: Richeh] [link to this post]

I get 4.2mbps with 55 attenuation so you should get a bit more than 3mbps! Would guess between 6 and 7 but its just a wild guess! I doubt your upload speed will go up unless you ring them up and ask them to increase it (mine could go from 603 to 768 thats all)
Standard User CurlyWhirly
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Feb-12 18:11:23
Print Post

[re: MikeL] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MikeL:
I get 4.2mbps with 55 attenuation so you should get a bit more than 3mbps! Would guess between 6 and 7 but its just a wild guess! I doubt your upload speed will go up unless you ring them up and ask them to increase it (mine could go from 603 to 768 thats all)

I used to get just over 4 Mbps sync (inc overheads) on a 53db attenuation but that was with O2.

Now on Sky I only get a 2.9 Mbps downstream sync and 700 Kbps upstream sync (where as on O2 I used to get 1.1 Mbps)

Still I'm not that bothered as when FTTC is available on my exchange, I will be ditching ADSL and going down the fibre route.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iand
(experienced) Wed 22-Feb-12 18:36:40
Print Post

you get what you get. I think you will get a bit more. mine stabalised at a higher rate after 4-5 days, so I expect yours will too.

IanD
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(member) Wed 22-Feb-12 18:50:38
Print Post

I would expect double the down speed with that attenuation - here are my stats on my sky broadband .Though i do not use the the supplied router however there is very little in it with regards to speed and related issues.

Upstream 796
Downstream 7008
SNR Margin(Upstream) 13.9
SNR Margin(Downstream) 6.2
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 27.5
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 46.5

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 22-Feb-12 20:01:30
Print Post

[re: NilSatisOptimum] [link to this post]

I see they've capped your upstream to 800 even though you have plenty of SNR margin to play with. I wonder why they do that confused

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Thu 23-Feb-12 19:34:31
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I should be back there over the weekend and will have a check, 4-5 days so halfway through and will take my laptop to check the stats. If it sticks at 3mb/800k I believe I just need to email their support and ask to be put on Gaming Mode if that's correct? I understand that not everyones connection is the same even with same Attenuation/SNR but it does seem as if around 4MB wouldn't be unreasonable.

BE 24MB:

Edited by Richeh (Thu 23-Feb-12 19:36:04)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 23-Feb-12 19:53:45
Print Post

Yeah, that's what you do.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Sat 03-Mar-12 23:32:43
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Well just moved back today and first time since the intial post that i've checked the stats. Unfortunately not what I had hoped frown

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2045 kbps 604 kbps
Line Attenuation 45.5 dB 27.7 dB
Noise Margin 7.9 dB 16.0 dB

Appears its limited to 2MB. Is there anything I should be saying apart from asking for Gaming Mode in my email to support?

BE 24MB:
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 03-Mar-12 23:36:07
Print Post

You don't have much noise margin there. Are all devices filtered that are connected to the phone line, e.g. the sky box?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to