User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Sat 25-Feb-12 15:43:28
Print Post

What is the maximum Sky Speed?

[link to this post]

I'm a little confused, I've read that it's 20Meg then again I've read that it's also 22 or 24 max crazy

I originally had a stable sync at 22mb but for some reason Sky in error started retraining my line. After the 10 days I could only sync at 18mba so I emailed Sky to change this but said they could only change it to 20 because that's all Sky offers. I explained by return mail that I previously subvert at 22mb and got this reply, below;

The reason that we can only supply 20Mbps is due to that is what is offered by sky, which is explained in all terms and conditions. I can advised that your line can support more than this however it will be capped at 20Mbps as this is the terms and conditions of sky.

If you would like to check this out further I would advise you to have a look at www.sky.com/broadband.

So, they are saying that nobody can get above 20 because they don't offer/support it

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 25-Feb-12 15:49:27
Print Post

Re: What is the maximum Sky Speed?

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

Have you requested Gaming mode on your connection?

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Feb-12 16:02:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by shaneosborne:
If you would like to check this out further I would advise you to have a look at www.sky.com/broadband {<- You need a space here}.
But where does it say anything about 20 Meg?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(experienced) Sat 25-Feb-12 16:32:06
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

"The reason that we can only supply 20Mbps is due to that is what is offered by sky"

Just spoke to them on the phone and they confirmed Sky is only upto 20Meg and no higher...

My Broadband Speed Test
(experienced) Sat 25-Feb-12 16:34:37
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yup, i'm on the 'Gaming Profile'...

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Feb-12 16:49:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by shaneosborne:
"The reason that we can only supply 20Mbps is due to that is what is offered by sky"
You omitted the phrase "which is explained in all terms and conditions" from your quote of an email response.

And I'm asking where is it written in the T&Cs? What have they to back up an after-the-event assertion in an email?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
(experienced) Sat 25-Feb-12 18:19:43
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

AH! Sorry for the misunderstanding... I just copied and pasted the email sent from Sky and didn't realise the link was broken...

In all honesty I haven't looked at the T&Cs but what I don't understand is that I previously subvert at 22MB and now they are saying this.

The ascertain do in fact state 20MB but others have said it's upto 22MBand in some cases 24MB.

None of it makes sense to me, if they don't support it then how on earth did I previously sync above there supported rate?

I will take a look at the website now but I know for sure I got a higher and stable sync as my previous posts in forums here show my line stats as I was discussing other issues...

My Broadband Speed Test
(experienced) Sat 25-Feb-12 18:22:56
Print Post

In fact, looking here on ThinkBroadband it shows Sky Broadband as 20+ Meg :/

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User flamey
(newbie) Sat 25-Feb-12 18:32:27
Print Post

Officially the max is 20mb. Depending on what equipment you are connected to in the exchange & how good your line is you can potentially get 22mb or so.

If you are connected to SVBN equipment you can only be manually set to 20mb not higher because this is all their profiling system goes up to. DLM however could set you above this if the line is good enough.

The easynet dslam's have more manual configuration options for the advisors and therefore you could see higher than 20 if connected to these, dependant on line conditions of course.

Edited by flamey (Sat 25-Feb-12 18:34:59)

(experienced) Sat 25-Feb-12 18:34:59
Print Post

Well, I couldn't find any reference to 20MB on that page given but found this;

http://www.sky.com/products/broadband-talk/broadband...

They must support faster and it depends on who you speak to because I previously got 22...

20Meg will do, bring on Sky Fibre smile ...... Eventually, we may get it :/

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to