User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MikeL
(regular) Mon 27-Feb-12 09:58:30
Print Post

Getting a new router

[link to this post]

Hi

I'm thinking about getting a new router, can you still use your own router with Sky or have that made it not possible now?

Another possibility is buying the new Sky router (2504N) off ebay but if I did will I need to get my username and password transferred to it somehow or can I just plug it in and it will work?

Thanks
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Mon 27-Feb-12 18:38:24
Print Post

Re: Getting a new router

[re: MikeL] [link to this post]

The sky routers only cost £35 from sky and go for £25+ off ebay so i'd suggest just getting one direct. The savings aren't that significant.

You can still technically use your own router but as always it's against the sky T&C's.

Kris

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Sky Netgear DG934G
Standard User paulb100
(learned) Mon 19-Mar-12 22:02:46
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

I may be wrong ...but arent the routers MAC address assigned to the customers data..? making someone else's 2504N off ebay useless?

Sky routers connect using the routers MAC address@skydsl for the username with a password generated from default wifi password that comes with the router - I would imagine that if this does not match the details registered for your router they gave you then it will not work and you can not change the log in details on SKY's F@ST 2504N as the firmware locks you out of that sort of stuff and as far as im aware there is no firmware available that would allow you to SET the username & password in the sky 2504N router that you could buy off ebay

the only thing I can think of that will void this is if SKY allow ANY correctly configured SKY router to connect over ANY of their lines... in that case ANY sky router should do...as long as it hasnt had its login/firmware changed to be used for another ISP.

hopefully someone can clear this up as i also would like to know

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tech & Broadband Chat

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MikeL
(regular) Thu 22-Mar-12 09:58:19
Print Post

[re: paulb100] [link to this post]

I bought a new sky 2504N router, £20.50 off ebay inc postage, had to wait for ages to get it at that price as most go for quite a lot more. It works though, not sure how it works, I just plugged it in and it was fine. Its showing as 53 attenuation instead of 55, the line noise readout seems more accurate. It connects me at 4.4 - 4.5 which I think is faster (100-200kbps) than my old router too.

Most of the interface is the same with a few extras.
Standard User paulb100
(learned) Thu 22-Mar-12 22:51:27
Print Post

[re: MikeL] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MikeL:
I bought a new sky 2504N router, £20.50 off ebay inc postage, had to wait for ages to get it at that price as most go for quite a lot more. It works though, not sure how it works, I just plugged it in and it was fine. Its showing as 53 attenuation instead of 55, the line noise readout seems more accurate. It connects me at 4.4 - 4.5 which I think is faster (100-200kbps) than my old router too.

Most of the interface is the same with a few extras.

thanks for confirming this, that means ANY sky router will work on ANY sky connection without having to be set to customers particulars..

the noise margin is a little low mind... I would keep an eye on that, plunging noise margins usualy mean noise increase on the line, it should be around 7db as thats sky's default

anyway glad you got sorted

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tech & Broadband Chat
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Thu 22-Mar-12 23:18:47
Print Post

[re: paulb100] [link to this post]

I sold one of these for £20 on ebay. It went like a hotcake. Sky sent me 2 by mistake.

I think unless the account is blacklisted it will work. If the sellers sky account is blacklisted it won't work but if you ring into sky and verify your details etc they can reactivate the router mac against your unblocked account.

That's what I've been informed anyway.
  Print Thread

Jump to