User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Mar-12 14:30:20
Print Post

Sky DLM does it cause this odd BQM

[link to this post]

My Broadband Ping

Connection Speed
6140 kbps
798 kbps

Line Attenuation
45.0 dB
26.5 dB

Noise Margin
7.7 dB
12.9 dB

Router is definitely not resyncing as often as the graph indicated, i.e. it has been connected for 8 hours (DLM upped speed from 4095 to 6140 at that time). Line was running ADSL2+ perfectly fine before this with another provider, and its not REIN as have a second ADSL2+ line, that is not showing this pattern at all.

Its the Sagem (mini Sky clone box) which while looking nice, is hardly impressive, as its GUI is very slow to react to page requests. There is around 2% packet loss showing up on pings, which again is a lot worse than the previous TalkTalk service on the same line. Plus the DLM is running us at high latency too.

Just wondering if this is fairly normal behaviour in the first few days. I know the DLM starting at 4Meg and rising. but wondering if Sky do some odd remote speed testing every hour or so?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Mar-12 17:10:40
Print Post

Re: Sky DLM does it cause this odd BQM

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well may have traced the packet loss seen by pings, was getting them when pinging the router, it seems the Sagem did not like being on a network which was also running a second subnet.

Now to see if this makes any difference to external pings and BQM.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 25-Mar-12 18:16:15
Print Post

Not as far as I can see.. on a line I have access to.

Sky LLU

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Mar-12 18:50:10
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Things are working better now, not getting the packet loss, as I posted in another post, seems the sagem was not happy co-existing with a Netgear DGN2200 on the same LAN.

Have split the LAN's now into upstairs office and downstairs to the back of the TV.

Oddly was exactly the same wiring with the TalkTalk router, and it was happy. The joys of different routers it seems.

Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Sun 25-Mar-12 19:21:34
Print Post

Glad it seems to be ok now for you smile
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 25-Mar-12 19:40:11
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Looks the same to me - still those regular red spikes.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Mar-12 20:56:42
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yeap still the same regular spikes, browsing performance and packet loss from PC out to the internet seems fine.

Certainly am able to browse without lots of pauses and F5's tonight. The big block of yellow was a 4GB PS3 game demo

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Mar-12 07:51:25
Print Post

As if by magic

Checked in on my BQM this morning, and seems things improved nust before midnight. The two blocks of sustained latency are PS3 game demo, and then a chunk of downloads via Sky Anytime+

My Broadband Ping

Print Thread

Jump to