User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User poshphil
(newbie) Sat 14-Apr-12 07:47:13
Print Post

No Internet but router is connecting

[link to this post]

Have a bit of a frustrating problem here. Am a new customer, and phone line and broadband were supposed to be activated on Thursday. Phone line seems fine. I can't get on the net though.

Looking at the router maintenance pages I have an ADSL link at about 5mb down and 1mb up, but it just sits saying connecting and never gets an ip address, and the light on the router (2504n) is solid amber.

Spent probably 2 hours on the phone in the last couple of days checking wires are plugged in correctly and uploading firmware and trying to run the sagem recovery tool (this was looking for the router at 192.168.1.1 even though it's at 192.168.0.1 (and I believe that's the normal address?)

Sky man decided I need a new router which will be another few days now. I don't see how that will help as I do appear to have a connection to the exchange?

Pretty sure I had something like this when on uk online a few years and just needed someone to change something on their system so it authorised.

I've got plenty of other routers I could try that I know work, but they don't know my connection details so I can eliminate that as the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions of things I can try here? I don't really want to have to wait for a new router that I don't think is even the problem.
Standard User iand
(experienced) Sat 14-Apr-12 08:48:42
Print Post

Re: No Internet but router is connecting

[re: poshphil] [link to this post]

You will probably have to wait for the new router and try that. If its also not working then as you said its a problem not in your house. You could also borrow one from a mate that works and attach that. The routers are not linked to your phone line in any way.

Once you report using 2 routers and it still does not work the customer service reps should then pass to a 2nd line person to resolve.

Does your sky web account show broadband as being active?

IanD
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Sat 14-Apr-12 10:32:38
Print Post

you could try plugging the router in, turning it on, and leave it for half an hour
(without disruption like randomly disconnecting wires...)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Sat 14-Apr-12 10:39:27
Print Post

As suggested see if you can try someone's working Sky router, the authentication bit is hard-wired in the Sky router.....so if you do have an ADSL signal it should authenticate and can prove a faulty router. If it does not Sky need to sort something out.

Not sure if the router you have has a pin-hole reset option....that is always worth a try.

I have known issues where a signal is present but no authentication but it tends to be equipment issues that would affect many users so Sky would know about it.

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

don@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 14-Apr-12 11:54:27
Print Post

A new router is what you need. The username and password are allocated when you plug the router in for the first time.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Sat 14-Apr-12 12:44:21
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Not so much allocated as preprogrammed using the serial number and mac number of the router, hence there are those that use a password generator to use their router of choice....against the rules but many do so.

It could be assumed that this specific combination failed to be put in the database so will not authenticate....so yes a new router will be needed in that instance.

Sadoldman

don@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 14-Apr-12 13:37:43
Print Post

[re: Sadoldman] [link to this post]

My bet is that this is a provisioning issue, i.e. wiring is done, but perhaps to the wrong port, or the port has its authentication all set wrong.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User poshphil
(newbie) Mon 16-Apr-12 12:31:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks all for the feedback - I was intending to have a friend over yesterday who also has a Sky router to test this but managed to lose my wedding ring Saturday so spent yesterday looking for that instead.

Planning to take my router over to his to try it there this evening.

Interestingly, I have this morning received another "Your services are now active" email so will be keen to see if things are working when I get home.
Standard User poshphil
(newbie) Tue 17-Apr-12 09:02:39
Print Post

A small update - the router worked fine at my friends house, and the replacement router they sent out to us had the same problem.

After another 40 mins or so on the phone they're getting someone out to the exchange at some point in the next 5 days.
Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Tue 17-Apr-12 11:18:25
Print Post

As it appears not be be a general authentication issue it does seem as if Andrew hit the nail on the head....he does have this maddening habit of doing that.smile

"Next 5 days" sounds wonderful.....make sure you log all the time you have spent, calls ect, and the downtime you have had...Sky can sometimes be generous with the compensation with issues like this so go for it.

Sadoldman

don@thinkbroadband.com
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to