User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Fe_plus
(committed) Mon 16-Apr-12 17:18:57
Print Post

sky fibre ordered - some hiccups to watch out for

[link to this post]

placed this morning, hopefully tracking with cashback

user account was not created as the emails suggested, and install date for phone was different than ordered

webchat with sky agent advised the dates were different, but not able to change, so had to place a call into sky agents

helpful chap in uk, advised telephone date cannot be changed (leaving me out of pocket), told them this and they credited my account with the cost to me.

now scheduled for install in may following the end of my present service - worried now that my adsl may be affected by the landline switch happening sooner. will be calling my existing provider to check

checker says i will get 40 down and 2 up - suspicious of that and don't believe the estimator is working properly yet - hoping sky will move up the speeds within the 12 month term to match BT

Edited by Fe_plus (Mon 16-Apr-12 17:21:15)

Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Tue 17-Apr-12 07:21:46
Print Post

Re: sky fibre ordered - some hiccups to watch out for

[re: Fe_plus] [link to this post]

Thanks for the initial feedback.

Going to fibre is the journey that many will take over the next few years I guess so your views on how it goes will be of interest to many.

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

don@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User maehara
(newbie) Tue 17-Apr-12 11:58:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by Fe_plus:
checker says i will get 40 down and 2 up - suspicious of that and don't believe the estimator is working properly yet - hoping sky will move up the speeds within the 12 month term to match BT

Curious about their quoted speeds as well. I ordered online Friday, Sky website indicated I would get the full 40/2 - which surprised me, as when BT were canvassing for Infinity in our area a few months back, their rep was quoting me ~25Mbps download speed (which I'd still be more than happy with, mind you - only getting 2.3Mbps on the current Sky Unlimited connection). We'll see.

Originally-booked date wasn't honoured, either - pushed back from the 27th April to the 30th between ordering and getting the confirmation emails, but no big inconvenience for me so I haven't queried this with Sky.

--
maehara

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Apr-12 13:02:17
Print Post

[re: maehara] [link to this post]

If by a few months back you are referring to when profile 8c was the norm then the change to profile 17a may have meant the estimates have improved

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User maehara
(newbie) Tue 17-Apr-12 13:07:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If by a few months back you are referring to when profile 8c was the norm then the change to profile 17a may have meant the estimates have improved

Ah, that may well explain it. Bonus for me, I guess. smile

--
maehara
Standard User Fe_plus
(committed) Tue 17-Apr-12 19:25:19
Print Post

[re: Sadoldman] [link to this post]

talked with Be (my existing provider) and they advised the telephone move should not affect my BB service with them, they did say there is a possibility of a switch but unlikely. BE have been amazing throughout my 5 year stay with them - I will go back when they offer fibre for sure (if they are same company / outfit)

PS don't phone the 08442 number for sky - use saynoto0870 - won't be a problem when with sky as that 08442 number will be FOC

I too am expecting to recieve BT infinity checker speeds, hopeful they may be better though.

still worth it with that speed increase with the 12 month contract and my monthly costs very nearly the same as my BE unlimited annual costs - excepting the £50 activation fee.

Edited by Fe_plus (Tue 17-Apr-12 19:26:30)

Standard User Discus
(experienced) Wed 18-Apr-12 17:47:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by Fe_plus:
PS don't phone the 08442 number for sky - use saynoto0870 - won't be a problem when with sky as that 08442 number will be FOC

If there is a number showing on sayno, make the most of it as it will probably soon be deactivated, going by all previous numbers listed there.

Mark

http://www.holidayalmeria.co.uk - Holiday apartment website
http://www.marksfish.me.uk - Personal fishkeeping website
Standard User epyon
(committed) Tue 24-Apr-12 16:26:05
Print Post

Shame everything has went smoothly so far.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User irrelevant
(member) Tue 24-Apr-12 17:50:47
Print Post

I tried to order Fibre this time last week, upgrading from their adsl broadband, - the website took the order absolutely fine, booked me an engineer visit etc, but I got an email asking us to contact them, shortly afterwards. After much faffing about with multiple representatives, it seems that because I wasn't already on sky line rental (just on the freetime calls package) something had thrown out the order, even though the order process had actually spotted this and got me to sign up to the line rental as part of the order.

Upshot was, I have to sign up to line rental first, wait two to three weeks for it to be completed, and only then can I order the Fibre Broadband. I told them I was impatient, so to forget it, I'll go with BT infinity, it was only going to work out three quid more, and to cancel the switch to their line rental please.

I ended up speaking to a lovely Scots girl in Retentions who persuaded me to stick with them by putting the line rental down to £1 for the 12 months... Not a bad deal; I'm currently forking out for two phone line and two ADSL connections to achieve a rough 12-14Mbps, depending on the application. Doing this switch, with the discount, I can drop one line, get at least three times the speed, and pay £20/month LESS than we are doing!
  Print Thread

Jump to