User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Wed 25-Apr-12 10:44:09
Print Post

Openreach modem

[link to this post]

Whats the IP of the openreach white modem that's supplied I want to play around

Have already connected router etc. dont wanna unplug it all to check
Standard User Paul_H
(learned) Wed 25-Apr-12 13:53:14
Print Post

Re: Openreach modem

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

The Openreach modem is locked down by default and does not have a usable IP address. I believe that the LAN 1 port is bridge through so your router creates the PPoE connection.

If you want to "administer" the modem or even just look at the statistic then you will need to use a modified firmware. This will enable an IP address on the LAN 2 port, which normally has a label covering it.

You can find instructions and the firmware at http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/about/
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Wed 25-Apr-12 20:22:37
Print Post

[re: Paul_H] [link to this post]

I didn't realise it was SO locked down. I assumed you could access a user interface with stats missing.

Also the sky router seems to be getting the connection via MER. The impression I'm getting is that there's absolutely no way around using the sky router with the fibre service.

Have to use it and connect another router to it via ethernet - which would then be 3 devices.

Lucky I'm happy with it then!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Apr-12 22:43:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
I didn't realise it was SO locked down. I assumed you could access a user interface with stats missing.

Also the sky router seems to be getting the connection via MER. The impression I'm getting is that there's absolutely no way around using the sky router with the fibre service.

There has to be a way of monitoring the traffic between the Openreach VDSL modem and the Sky router. As these are both Ethernet devices compared to the ADSL side on the original Sky system.

Given enough time I bet someone will come up with a way to packet sniff on that link.

James - be* pro - 16.8 or 17.2mbps BQM
Still waiting for FTTC cabinet since Mar 2011- THFB PCP 5
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Thu 03-May-12 14:11:14
Print Post

[re: Paul_H] [link to this post]

Managed to unlock it but then realised the GUI only works when plugged in via port 2

If using the sky router wirelessly you cannot access the modem interface.
So I restored default firmware as I have no intention of keeping a wired connection to the modem

I had an SNR of 28 and an attainable rate of over 100 Mbps down & 40 Mbps up and that's via my 10m cat 5 ri11 extension. Nice for now

Currently have the 40 Mbps and 2mbps up sky product.
With most people on wireless g in my house even if they max their connection out there's still 20 + Mbps left not even being touched
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Thu 03-May-12 14:40:03
Print Post

Could have put the lock firmware back using laptop (as say wireless so guessing laptop, I know it might not be!). Can go from unlocked to locked that way but locked to unlocked as you did given the other day in the link.

I did this and can get to the modem GUI by the 192.168.1.1 address on the wireless by plugging a lead from the LAN2 to a spare hole on the back of the router. I have done this and then the modem address works.

So much more can be done like graphs of the moden stats at that point or logging in the background, I did for every minute once and brings up things over the logging time that could be weeks.

At least the modem GUI is worth having and save the ip address as a favourite.

Works for me as doing this now.

Jiust plug a spare lead in between the modem lan 2 and router, job done.
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Thu 03-May-12 14:44:01
Print Post

Gets a bit complicated, took me a lot of help and days of pratting around.

We are here on the 2nd page. Did have some photos but took off the photo web site when getting rid of old stuff thought not needed.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4083372-hua...
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Thu 03-May-12 14:50:28
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

Yeah laptops but even desktop is wireless

Do I keep the existing LAN 1 to the router and also LAN 2 to router or just LAN 2 and remove lan 1?
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Thu 03-May-12 14:55:39
Print Post

2 wires out of the modem.

LAN2 goes to guessing 1 to 4 ( my BT hub is anyway). ethernet connection. If both wireless then guess nothing in the holes on the sky router. Just plug a cable in between the 2. Makes the modem show up on windows in the home network. Will show up as a connected device in the router generated pages.

Needs the 192.168.1.1 as you know.
If like BT home hub, LAN1 goes to its own hole and the network 1 to 4 is for you. use one of them

I get my quality patch leads from poundland!. Does me and all out of site in a cupboard anyway.
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Thu 03-May-12 15:10:33
Print Post

I got these and it connects 1 to the incoming BT router and the other in another room connected to one of the 1 to 4 network connections of another wireless router so have 2 wireless points going in different points of the house with 2 different SSID ( wireless point names).

If your wirless slows down then both computers used could use these from shy router to computer network connection on desktop.

they can cause slowdowns as people say even on the 40Mbs speed, what they are like on upto 80 and you get that who knows, mine is the chep BT broadband so upto 40 and get that as modem say could do 63 or so I think and upload at 23 so my 40 and 10 will be limited and could do more. These things work for me. If i speeded the internet connection up then not sure!.

there are more expensive 500Mbs versions I might have to have on the spped jump if I get one day on BT infinity or another FTTC supplier.

just a thought.
If sharing wirless between 2 things does it slow, I don't know as dont do with 1 laptop.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Value-200Mbps-Home-Plug-Doub...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to