User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User packetman
(member) Thu 03-May-12 12:36:29
Print Post

Weird question about cancelling Sky...

[link to this post]

My father-in-law recently died, and we have cancelled his Sky service at his flat. He had TV, phone and ADSL, the latter two on a BT line.

Sky say they have cancelled everything, and no more monies are owing. The problem is that the phone line is still active, i.e. you can make and receive calls. If you phone it from another line, however, you eventually get a "BT 1571" voicemail message!

I'm wondering if it's possible that Sky, in cancelling, could have somehow migrated the line back to BT? He used to have BT, but that was several years ago. His bank account is frozen, so no money can be taken. If this is the case, presumably sooner or later a letter saying money for line rental is owing will arrive? Very strange.

I know this relates more to phone than ADSL, but I wonder if anyone on here has had any similar experiences, and any suggestion as to what to do, as there is no known current BT account number?

Edited by packetman (Thu 03-May-12 12:39:39)

Standard User greenglide
(member) Thu 03-May-12 13:09:52
Print Post

Re: Weird question about cancelling Sky...

[re: packetman] [link to this post]

Presumably SKY have to migrate the line back to BT (return to donor?) otherwise they would have to continue paying BT for the line.

If OR have connected it to an active pair then it will work but billing anyone for the line and calls would be difficult.

If you can make outgoing calls have you made a call to establish whether it is the same number (ring mobile!).

I assume it is another one of these complexities introduced by full LLU!

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User packetman
(member) Thu 03-May-12 13:20:36
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Yes, it's the same number, tried the mobile trick, also calling it from the mobile contact list!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-May-12 14:02:46
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

No need to return to donor, which would have required billing information too, so should not happen in terms of Sky doing it.

A stop/cease is what Sky will have applied. Now if the service was a WLR one rather than full LLU which is possible, a stopped WLR may revert to BT wholesale systems, because that is what WLR uses.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-May-12 14:05:23
Print Post

If they had ordered the service prior to September 2011, then likely to be a WLR (Wholesale Line Rental) service, and what you describe sounds reasonable in that case.

The wholesale line rental can in theory exist without a billing relationship, rare but can imagine it being possible.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User packetman
(member) Thu 03-May-12 14:14:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Many thanks for the comments. Any suggestions as to how to proceed to get it cancelled at BT? I can imagine some useless call centre making a dogs dinner of this!
Standard User packetman
(member) Thu 03-May-12 16:24:58
Print Post

Just to follow up on this, I went on to BT live chat on their web site, and someone who seemed to know what he was doing phoned me back. He confirmed that there is no active account on that phone number, and was surprised the line was active. He says he's putting in place a cease order which should be effective within 7 days. Interesting loophole though, use that phone to make all your calls, including 0900 etc...!
Standard User lelboy
(member) Fri 04-May-12 22:12:01
Print Post

Hi, Have I misunderstood?
"He had TV, phone and ADSL, the latter two on a BT line."
Does that not say that his line was with BT and not Sky? Did Sky provide the phone line, or was it BT?
Were it to be BT, why would Sky have any input in cancelling a phone line provided by another supplier?
Maybe, as I said, I've misunderstood.....
Standard User packetman
(member) Sat 05-May-12 14:04:03
Print Post

[re: lelboy] [link to this post]

Yes, it was a BT line to the building, with LLU from Sky. He paid his line rental to Sky. I have now found what happened, when Sky was cancelled by the solicitors doing the probate, the line got spuriously reactivated by BT on their phone network, with no instructions to do so or payment method of any kind set up. It should just have been disconnected. BT admitted this should not have happened. My father-in-law had no BT account. Cancellation is now in process.

Edited by packetman (Sat 05-May-12 14:09:24)

Standard User lelboy
(member) Sat 05-May-12 22:18:30
Print Post

Ha ha, that sounds about right - sadly.
Too many companies just make comments like "it shouldn't have happened - we've no idea why!" and expect us to say "that's OK, thank you".
Trust it'll all get sorted properly, eventually...
Cheers, Les.
  Print Thread

Jump to