User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tcrooks3843
(learned) Fri 04-May-12 16:00:34
Print Post

Sky Fibre Instal Fail

[link to this post]

Why am I not surprised? Fibre instal due today between 0800 to 1300hrs. No Openreach engineer calls in that time. Three calls from Sky during the afternoon elicits the following;
1. Local engineers haven't received the order
2. Openreach Central processed the order but seems to have failed to pass it on to the local engineers
3. Failure blamed on computer system fault - where would be without computers to blame
4. Openreach don't work weekends and Bank Holidays so may instal on Tuesday
5. Openreach will contact on Tuesday to confirm when they will instal.

Seems like a rerun of my very first broadband instal with Pipex when the Openreach engineer misread the order and disconnected me 30 minutes after connecting me at the exchange.

What a waste of a day!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 04-May-12 18:40:16
Print Post

Re: Sky Fibre Instal Fail

[re: tcrooks3843] [link to this post]

It is the old days all over again, as engineers in each area get used to the new processes, and so do the providers.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-May-12 19:25:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

“We trained hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams, we would be reorganised. I was to learn, later in life, that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganising, and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralisation.”

Caius Petronius (AD66)

wink

Clive

"As I hurtled through space towards re-entry at twice the speed of sound the only thought in my mind was that this craft was entirely built by the lowest bidder!” Alan Shepard, Astronaut

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User browney
(newbie) Fri 04-May-12 20:42:46
Print Post

Although it doesn't help much I can tell you BTO engineers do work on Sundays because I've had one before .
Standard User AbandonShip
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-May-12 21:16:35
Print Post

[re: browney] [link to this post]

Indeed they do, I was watching one working on a neighbours line out in the rain just last Sunday. I think he must have done something to mine as well 'cause the max rate has gone up by ~1000kbps.
(regular) Tue 08-May-12 19:32:51
Print Post

Today Sky booked a new appointment with BT for my fibre instal - 22 May. Surprise, surprise I then get an email from Sky confirming the rearranged appointment but for 4 May! Of course checking My Sky tells me absolutely nothing other than that there is a problem with the order.

Interestingly Sky seems to have had to make a booking for the 22 May appointment by the hi-tech method of making a phone call as there seems to be an issue with BT systems when rearranging an appointment after the date of the original appointment has passed resulting in the booking being rejected. Ho hum!
(regular) Thu 10-May-12 10:28:15
Print Post

Yet again Sky, or is it BT Openreach, surprises me. Having got used to the idea that I'd have to wait the seemingly mandatory 14 days for a rearranged appointment, even if this was because the BT engineer didn't turn up for the booked appointment, this morning at 0810 hours a BT engineer was outside my front door phoning me to say he was here to install Sky Fibre broadband.

And so it proved. Instal took about 30 minutes, enjoying a 40 Mb sync speed and about 30 Mb using speedtest.net which I understand will vary for the next week or so.

Phoned Sky Fibre support and they were equally surprised by the engineer visit.

The BT engineer had my instal booked for today and it would have been him if the instal had been last Friday but I was not on his list of calls for that day. Sky claim some problems with placing orders on the BT booking system. But then again, it could be Openreach doing their own thing.

One minor issue, the BT engineer managed to not connect my house telephone extensions after replacing the master socket. Didn't discover this until trying to call Sky Fibre support to explain about the engineer visit. So waiting for an appointment for an engineer to add back the extension wiring connection.

I would have said, 'All's well....' if the telephone extensions worked.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-May-12 10:31:55
Print Post

They have pretty strict time limits, so pressure is on to be in and out, with little flexibility.

Problems like this in terms of appointments were common when ADSL first appeared, and do re-surface when major changes happen to the ordering systems. Hence why Sky is not too heavily pushing fibre, but based on posters I'd suggest Sky may have more fibre than talktalk very quickly

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Thu 10-May-12 20:07:58
Print Post

As a closing comment, at 1600 hours a BT engineer visited unexpectedly - no, not to uninstal Fibre - but to fix my extensions problem and in the process of doing this to also fix a line problem which seemed to be due to an ants nest judging from the industrial quantity of ant killer that the engineer used.

And about 30 minutes after the engineer had departed Sky Fibre support called to check that I was satisfied with what had been done.

The order fulfilment process remains wacky but at the least someone, somewhere is putting themselves out to get the problems resolved in an amicable fashion. +1 to Sky and, I suppose, BT Openreach.

40/2 sync and will waiting the requisite period before checking real world download/upload speeds.
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-May-12 09:17:47
Print Post

Is the SKY call centre still UK based?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to