User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jonface
(newbie) Mon 14-May-12 19:14:11
Print Post

Incompatible Technology - running out of patience

[link to this post]

I ordered Sky Fibre and Sky Talk on the 4th May. Since then my order has been cancelled 3 times and reordered. The levels of knowledge seems to vary when speaking to customer service agents, and having spoken to 4 seperate ones during a single call (maybe even 5) I was quite amazed at the rubbish they tell customers.

At first all I was told that my order could not be completed due to an unknown reason. I informed them that since I have lived in the house (approx 2 years) the line has not been connected and that the person living here before me used to have ADSL fine. There were no services on the line (like alarm systems etc..), which they said should make the order easier to process. Any way, the advice I was given was,

- Contact the previous owner as they haven't had the line disconnected (I have no contact details for the previous owner nor should this be required).
- I already have the broadband on my line so I need to cancel it first.
- I don't have a telephone line. I already made it clear I have a physical line, it is just not connected.
- I cannot have any services provided by my line.
- I should try cancelling the order and replacing it. The guy I spoke to said the system can be 'funny' sometimes, I let him off for this comment.
- I cannot get fibre on my line. I told them I can get BT Infinity and according to the btwholesale.co.uk/Sky website/BT Infinity website I can get fibre (I'm guessing they get all their data from the same database anyway).
- I should wait and someone will get back to me soon, with no definite time limit.
- Someone else 'ran a line test' on my line, then I got disconnected from the call.

After a conversation today with a lady at Sky, she offered to cancel my order and try again, with which I said it is pointless and won't get me anywhere. I asked why someone at Sky cannot just speak to Openreach using a telephone and find out exactly what the problem was and she told me they did and were told the line has "incompatible technology" on it. I couldn't be bothered to probe further as I'm sure that if a call was made, it wouldn't have been just two words, hangup, that they would be able to provide more details.

So now she has decided to esculate the problem and she will get back to me tomorrow. I don't have any faith in this but it is just 1 more day. To really wind me up, the money has been taken from my account on the 9th of May and cannot be returned if I want my order to be esculated/continue. Generally people exchange money for a service/product/charity, Sky have provided nothing.

Running out of patience with this, might actually have to place the order with BT as this is just wasting my time.

Any advice welcome!

Bah.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-May-12 21:21:10
Print Post

Re: Incompatible Technology - running out of patience

[re: jonface] [link to this post]

What is your actual current phone and broadband situation?

Has this changed at all in the last month or so?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-May-12 21:32:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
What is your actual current phone and broadband situation?

Has this changed at all in the last month or so?

In reply to a post by jonface:
At first all I was told that my order could not be completed due to an unknown reason. I informed them that since I have lived in the house (approx 2 years) the line has not been connected

I would think the line is still not in use or even connected ,unless there is a dial tone ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jonface
(newbie) Mon 14-May-12 21:48:50
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Sorry I wasn't very clear.

- I have a physical line coming in, as far as I know it is not connected (I don't pay line rental). Nothing has changed in the 2 years since I have lived at the property. I assume when the last owner moved out the line was disconnected and he stopped paying as I have never received any bills from BT or anyone else regarding the line.

- I don't have any broadband or any other service on the line.

I'll find a phone and check to see if it is live, would be strange if it is.

Cheers.

Jon.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-May-12 21:54:39
Print Post

Suspect this the problem, i.e. Sky's systems have not been setup to cope well with a new line provide and the ordering of fibre at the same time.

As you have no live telephone number, the fibre checking will not probably work, as betting they don't have a fall back to postcode.

One solution would be to activate the line with PostOffice get a telephone number and migrate the line to Sky after a month or so. (Do check that I've not forgotten some odd clause about any minimum term on Post Office for new line provides)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jonface
(newbie) Mon 14-May-12 22:44:17
Print Post

Its strange because its Openreach telling them this, although I wonder what information Sky are providing them.

I've got a call back tomorrow with an update but I'm not holding my breath. If this fails then I'll check up on the postoffice option.

Will post with an update tomorrow,

Cheers
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-May-12 10:05:42
Print Post

If Sky put the order through with the wrong information then Openreach will simply reject it, and say try again.

Standard User jonface
(newbie) Tue 15-May-12 19:36:57
Print Post

Update from Sky today to tell me there was no update. They are phoning back tomorrow :/
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 15-May-12 19:56:45
Print Post

I thought you said Openreach were telling you this, not Sky.
Ah, no you said Openreach was telling them.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Edited by BatBoy (Tue 15-May-12 19:58:27)

Standard User jonface
(newbie) Tue 15-May-12 20:05:30
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

According to Openreaches website, you (a normal user) can't speak to them directly, ever. Shame really :/
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to