User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zeddie1
(newbie) Sat 19-May-12 20:46:33
Print Post

Moving from O2 to sky

[link to this post]

I'm in the O2 unlimited legacy package and have been very happy for the past three years. But I am now thinking of moving over to sky bb for the following reasons:

- 6 months free broadband with sky
- £1 line rental on sky landline for a year if I move from BT

I'm also moving house in around 6 months and I'm being told by sky that the line activation at the new house will be free Nd straightforward and I won't lose any of these offers.

Questions:

Will I have to do a BT return to donor at any stage? (what is this btw lol)
Do I need my mac code from O2? Sky insist I don't but I thought you need a mac code to move?
Do I need to cancel O2 contract or will sky broadband kicking in do that for me?
Is there any loss of service in the changeover ?

As I said, generally happy with O2, but tempted by sky because of the offers I have been given.
I have just been called by the sky engineer to take up this offer but have askedn him to call back on Monday as I need to make sure I am not making a big mistakenlol
Standard User Xplosion
(newbie) Sat 19-May-12 21:46:03
Print Post

Re: Moving from O2 to sky

[re: zeddie1] [link to this post]

Sky is a great choice. I have just switched to them from Plusnet and not one regret. Support and service both great. Now to answer your questions.

1. No you won't (and btw means BT Wholesale)
2. As you are not switching within the BT Wholesale network, there's no need for a MAC code and you don't even need to tell O2 you're leaving, Sky do that for you
3. Sky does that for you
4. About 2 hours loss of service. They used to switch broadband on around a week after the land line, but it's now a matter of hours

So yes, in your position I'd definitely switch over to Sky.

PS: the above answers are based on the assumption that Sky LLU is available at your exchange

Good luck smile,
Xplosion

Edited by Xplosion (Sat 19-May-12 21:46:21)

Standard User zeddie1
(newbie) Sat 19-May-12 22:00:52
Print Post

[re: Xplosion] [link to this post]

Thanks for answering those questions. I had to ask the sky bloke to call me back on Monday as I wanted reassurance I am making the right choice first.

Another reason for moving is I'm restricted to stay with O2 in my mobile phone contract but this way I won't be.

Btw do sky throttle p2p connections?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Xplosion
(newbie) Sat 19-May-12 22:04:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by zeddie1:
Btw do sky throttle p2p connections?

Not at all, one of the headline features that Sky Broadband has going for it is the fact that no traffic management is ever imposed. Also, usage is truly unlimited (no fair use policy).

Quote from the Sky Broadband page...

It gives you peace of mind with totally unlimited usage – no usage caps and we won’t slow your speeds down no matter how much you use.

As a matter of fact I've been downloading torrents at line speed all day long wink

Xplosion

Edited by Xplosion (Sat 19-May-12 22:06:38)

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-May-12 22:20:34
Print Post

O2 will give you 6 months free broadband plus a new router if you call their retentions department. If you choose to do this, ensure that you stress that you want to stay on the legacy package. Ask in the O2 section of these forums.

You will need to give O2 one month's notice before leaving.
Standard User zeddie1
(newbie) Sat 19-May-12 22:23:01
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

I'm aware O2 will give me 6 months free. But the big plus here is sky phone line rental of £1 for the whole hear
Standard User Xplosion
(newbie) Sat 19-May-12 22:23:51
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Deadbeat:
O2 will give you 6 months free broadband plus a new router if you call their retentions department. If you choose to do this, ensure that you stress that you want to stay on the legacy package. Ask in the O2 section of these forums.

Although that sounds like a good offer I think the OP sways towards traffic managementless connections, O2 look like they manage P2P to death.

Xplosion
Standard User zeddie1
(newbie) Sat 19-May-12 22:33:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by Xplosion:
In reply to a post by Deadbeat:

Although that sounds like a good offer I think the OP sways towards traffic managementless connections, O2 look like they manage P2P to death.

Xplosion

Traffic management is not an issue on O2 for me. I've never noticed any slowdown in speed to be honest
Standard User Xplosion
(newbie) Sat 19-May-12 22:35:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by zeddie1:
Traffic management is not an issue on O2 for me. I've never noticed any slowdown in speed to be honest

In that case the legacy package you're using must have less restrictive policies than currently quoted.

Xplosion

(knowledge is power) Sat 19-May-12 22:39:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by Xplosion:

The legacy packages are completely unlimited and unthrottled.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to