User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User irrelevant
(member) Tue 22-May-12 14:09:12
Print Post

Slow fibre...

[link to this post]

Just had Sky Fibre Unlimited installed...

Before I signed up, speed was estimated as "between 40.0Mbs and 40.0Mbps" .. lol. BT's checker said I'd get over 50 (infinity2).

We've had it in an hour .... speedtest.net and tb speed checker are giving me around 23Mbps download.... This is on two different laptops wired directly to Sky's router; with nothing else using the connection yet.

We are currently very disappointed... Is there anything else I can check? Sky's router's shows connection of 39992 kbps - does this work like adsl, and I should get something close to that, or is it indicative of a bottleneck somewhere further out?
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Tue 22-May-12 14:24:18
Print Post

Re: Slow fibre...

[re: irrelevant] [link to this post]

Run the BT speed test (java).
Standard User omnius
(newbie) Tue 22-May-12 14:42:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by irrelevant:
We've had it in an hour

maby it still needs time to settle? something about a several day training period maby?

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/3956973-fttc-...

---------------------------

I live for the one, I die for the one.
Yep i really am THAT thick

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User irrelevant
(member) Tue 22-May-12 14:55:33
Print Post

[re: omnius] [link to this post]

Hmm... yes. maybe I'm being a bit hasty, although I'd have expected a bit better from the start... Will keep an eye on it over the next few days.
Standard User JonasTone
(newbie) Tue 22-May-12 15:10:03
Print Post

[re: omnius] [link to this post]

Im not exactly sure how sky fiber works but on Virgin Media there was no settle period. I suggest setting up a monitor with TBB and looking at it over a week, if the pings and jitter are quite high you will probably have an over utilization issue in your area, if it all seems normal, then it may be a distance to exchange thing, There are many possible reasons for slower than expected speeds, like for instance i can use speedtest.net to preston 9/10 results are 106 Mbits on a 100Mbit line 200 meters from street box (im in birmingham) but if i test portsmouth or london i can only reach speeds of around 9-10 mbits. see what the very maximum speed you can get is, and then make a decision to call sky if needs be,

I hope this helps smile
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Tue 22-May-12 16:32:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by irrelevant:
Just had Sky Fibre Unlimited installed...

Before I signed up, speed was estimated as "between 40.0Mbs and 40.0Mbps" .. lol. BT's checker said I'd get over 50 (infinity2).

We've had it in an hour .... speedtest.net and tb speed checker are giving me around 23Mbps download.... This is on two different laptops wired directly to Sky's router; with nothing else using the connection yet.

We are currently very disappointed... Is there anything else I can check? Sky's router's shows connection of 39992 kbps - does this work like adsl, and I should get something close to that, or is it indicative of a bottleneck somewhere further out?

i use this little programto do all my speedtesting on my FTTC speedtest websites never go anywere near my speed for some reason no idea why.

That program utilizes multiple connections to preform its testing to give as accurate as possible results you can also leave it running in the background and set intervills ad see how your BB is preforming threw out the day i leave it going 24/7 every hour

if it gives the slower results on that then id give sky a ring because i haven't come across a connection that the program dont give real results on

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 62112/20752 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Tue 22-May-12 23:23:42
Print Post

Same problem here speedtests and single file downloads are capped around 22-24 Mbps

i've only seen over 30Mbs on torrents -_-

Theres lots of sky users experiencing this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited
40/2
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Wed 23-May-12 00:12:29
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

No issues here. That's quite annoying I can imagine.

It sounds like contention possibly. Torrents are multi threaded and hence hide contention much more than single threaded downloads via the browser.
Standard User Mot
(committed) Wed 23-May-12 12:56:24
Print Post

See this thread over on sky user.
Standard User kwon
(member) Wed 23-May-12 21:05:27
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Try this mate.
http://www.speedtester.bt.com/
I have had lots of different speeds on various sites so not sure exactly what speed am getting
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to