User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Slinger
(committed) Thu 24-May-12 17:52:26
Print Post

New user - poor speeds after very good first 2 weeks

[link to this post]

I got activated about 4 weeks ago and i was constantly connected at 8mb, the past few days my interent has been awful and has been connected at 1.9mb. I've come home today to find it not working so reset the router and it says I am now connected at 4mb but can anyone tell from the stats below if I have excessive noise on my line or anything thats stands out as being a problem please?

Please click the link below.

PLEASE CLICK

Virgin Media 20mb - supposedly
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-May-12 18:21:19
Print Post

Re: New user - poor speeds after very good first 2 weeks

[re: Slinger] [link to this post]

Your line is connected at the maximum it can maintain at the moment, your noise margin is actually below 6-7 so I'd suggest it's deteriorated since it sync'd 8 hours ago.

I would suggest re-testing from the test socket to eliminate any potential issues with your internal wiring and repost the stats.

You can just paste that data from the page you linked rather than having to upload to photobucket smile

Kris

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Fibre due June 2012!
Standard User Slinger
(committed) Wed 30-May-12 19:02:26
Print Post

Hi

sorry for the delayed reply. Having connected straight to the test socket this is the readings I get. My connected has since dropped even further!

Router Statistics

System Up Time: 0:03:44

Port

Status

TxPkts

RxPkts

Collisions

Tx B/s

Rx B/s

Up Time

WAN

PPPoA

0:02:23

LAN

Up

0:03:44

WLAN

Up

0:03:23

ADSL Link

Downstream

Upstream

Connection Speed

2560 kbps

653 kbps

Line Attenuation

42.5 dB

23.5 dB

Noise Margin

8.1 dB

7.0 dB

Poll Interval: (secs, at least 3s)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rangers
(committed) Wed 30-May-12 20:15:20
Print Post

thats what was happening to me as well on the phone to sky they ask me to try the test socket and it goes down after lots off phone calls they send a bt engineer out to my house bt guy checked the line and its ok so he phones sky and sky told him they will reset the connection and test line for 12 days thiswas yesterday and my connection has went up from 4mg to 6mg let hope it stays that way
Standard User Slinger
(committed) Tue 24-Jul-12 11:31:44
Print Post

[re: rangers] [link to this post]

Well after over 3 months of constant phone calls, raised cs tickets, 2 x BT engineer visits and a replacement router (plus the added expense of 2 x half days off work and buying a new telephone) my patience has worn out and I have cancelled my services, without any trouble I hasten to add. My experience of Sky Broadband and Talk has been dreadful, but let me say that I am not one to complain, or to slate something unless I have personally had a less than desirable experience.

Broadband disconnecting eveytime somebody calls the phone, broadband disconnecting as soon as I start to download something, the phone sounding like a thunder storm, enough is enough!

Nobody at Sky seems to be able to communicate with each other, the amount of raised tickets that got cancelled by somebody else, only for me to have to phone again. The amount of false promises I was given that I would be phoned on such a day that never ever materialized. The promises that it would be fixed by such and such a date, again more broken promises.

I have had enough past experience of BT to know full well that the whole blame does not lay at Sky's feet, but do Sky really want to get a bad rep because of BT's obviously poor infrastructure? I vowed 10 years ago never to go back to any service that involved BT in any step of the way, I should have stuck to my guns. From now on I will NEVER touch anything that involves BT!

So back to Virgin Media it is, and hopefully another 10 years of trouble free service. As the saying goes, 'the grass is not always greener'

Edited by Slinger (Tue 24-Jul-12 11:36:47)

Print Thread

Jump to