User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Xplosion
(newbie) Sat 26-May-12 20:10:04
Print Post

Sky Broadband Review

[link to this post]

I am writing this review because I’d like everyone to know that Sky are the only ISP I’ve used out of the big 5 (BT, Virgin Media, TalkTalk, Sky, Orange) that are providing a flawless service.

Based on my previous experiences with 3 out of the big 5 from above (Virgin Media, TalkTalk and Orange) I had cold feet while waiting for activation of my Sky Broadband. Basically, my dealings have been with TalkTalk which didn’t work at all during peak times (this was when ‘free broadband’ was launched), Virgin Media who provided a neutral experience and Orange Mobile who were an absolute disaster (dreadful customer service).

However, contrary to my expectations everything with Sky has gone according to plan. They started off my connection at around 4 Meg on the first day then increased it gradually, resulting in a very reasonable speed for my line at the end of DLM. It’s also completely consistent; we’re getting pretty much the same speed all day whereas with Plusnet it went from 6.5 Meg to 1-3 Meg during peak periods. Apart from speed adjustments in the morning when going through DLM, the connection hasn’t dropped once.

I am amazed that they manage to provide this level and quality of service while still remaining pretty much the cheapest unlimited ISP. This brings me onto my next subject; downloading from P2P file-sharing services during a busy time of day, which occurs at full speed (not subject to any traffic shaping/management).

Finally and best of all it’s truly unlimited, only subject to AUP which I believe means if you damage the network, you’ll be cut off but otherwise you’re free to go wild.

So in my experience, Sky Broadband is a five star service and I’d recommend it to all.

Thanks,
Xplosion

(member) Sun 27-May-12 21:08:34
Print Post

Re: Sky Broadband Review

[re: Xplosion] [link to this post]

I would also agrre with these comments made about Sky, other than actual line problems i've never had any issues with Sky and customer service is top notch once past tier 1!!
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sun 27-May-12 22:17:41
Print Post

Have to agree.

My only gripe about Sky is that when you are having issues. If it's something slightly obscure the networking team are absolutely pitiful. That said if it's going well it's great and possibly the best service out there.

& the customer service are UK scottish or Irish which is nice.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kiggs
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-May-12 23:17:16
Print Post

Sky definitely provide a pretty flawless service as we've had two connections from 2008 that haven't dropped once - at least in the time we're using it, which is like - always! The speed and reliability has been top notch, though my DG934G did go wonky on me recently and I had to pretty much beg them to send me the 'n' router. I doubt I'll ever go with an ISP that doesn't offer unlimited - I hate limitations on my Internet usage - fixed line or otherwise.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sun 27-May-12 23:35:52
Print Post

[re: Kiggs] [link to this post]

Their newer N router is pretty fab too IMO

It has the best wifi coverage of any router I've ever used and doesn't ever require a reboot.
Standard User Alex1M6
(learned) Mon 28-May-12 04:41:52
Print Post

Sky is terrible, at peak times internet speeds plummet.
Standard User Neken
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-May-12 12:27:25
Print Post

[re: Alex1M6] [link to this post]

Sky Connect or Unlimited package? The non-LLU Connect package has always been poor.

(experienced) Mon 28-May-12 14:05:18
Print Post

[re: Alex1M6] [link to this post]

You must be on connect not LLU

Totally different kettle of fish & connects always been rubbish
Standard User Alex1M6
(learned) Mon 28-May-12 16:29:17
Print Post

[re: Neken] [link to this post]

I am on Unlimited (LLU).