User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Chug_a_Bug
(regular) Sun 17-Jun-12 10:57:40
Print Post

Should I sign up for fibre?

[link to this post]

Sky fibre line checker reckons I'll get 39.7 d/l speed on fibre... trouble is it's a doubling of my broadband subscription cost. My current sync is 15meg... which is not exactly slow.

So I'll get double the speed but also a doubling of the cost... to be honest I'm comfortable with the LLU speed I get already but I'm worried that all the "slots" will get used up at the cabinet as everyone seems to be rushing to sign up to fibre and I'll be left in the slow lane...

so what do you guys reckon? Is there enough capacity at the cabinet to cover all the lines connected to it or will it be oversubscribed and some people left out in the cold? Anyone have any idea?
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Sun 17-Jun-12 12:52:32
Print Post

Re: Should I sign up for fibre?

[re: Chug_a_Bug] [link to this post]

Logically if you are close to the exchange the demand for FTTC will be less than in areas where the maximum speed has only ever been less than 2Mb/s!

Demographics will come into in - middle and upper income groups are more likely to spend the money than lower income groups, older people (over 65 or so) are probably less likely to have ADSL in the first place.

Number of telephone lines in the PCP compared to the number of slots in the FTTC CAB is the key. If they put in a 128 line FTTC CAB and the PCP has hundreds of lines then they "may" go quickly, if it is a big 288 line FTTC CAB and a smaller number of telephone lines this seems less likely.

BT have been known to revisit sites where the space in the FTTC CAB has all been used but obviously it will take a while.

Under "normal" cicumstances you "should" be alright as many people talking about FTTC are waiting to see what happens and a huge majority of users still dont know what it is anyway!

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User iand
(experienced) Sun 17-Jun-12 16:31:40
Print Post

Re: Should I sign up for fibre?

[re: Chug_a_Bug] [link to this post]

When I asked, why FTTC, the answer was all about multiple people downloading at the same time in the same house. If that is not you, then there does not look to be any reason to change. There will at some point be a limit to the FTTC connections in your local green street box, as that has a max limit. You may be effected by this in the future, or you may move house and see no such problem.

IanD

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to