User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bazookajoe
(newbie) Fri 13-Jul-12 11:21:00
Print Post

Well this sucks

[link to this post]

I have Sky broadband and I have been waiting for months for Sky to get their act together .
The cabinet 50 yards from my home has a huge poster on it saying "BT Infinity". I checked on the Openreach checker nearly 4 months ago and I can get the full 80 meg download speed for BT Infinity 2.

Every time I contact Sky, they tell me that their fibre pro service is not yet available at the Swindon SSSWN exchange.

My understanding is that Sky still need to run fibre to the Cabinet to make the cabinet FTTC enabled. I believe the correct term is "Generic Ethernet Access over Fibre to the Cabinet (GEA-FTTC)".
I keep hearing about this 2 to 6 week window between Infinity being enabled and Sky enabling their GEA but after 16 weeks, I am still waiting . I think some customers could still be waiting for months and months even if their exchanges are enabled. Xmas will probably come sooner than Sky fibre for many people.

Edited by bazookajoe (Fri 13-Jul-12 11:22:13)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Jul-12 11:34:27
Print Post

Re: Well this sucks

[re: bazookajoe] [link to this post]

Your understanding is wrong, sorry.

Sky if the exchange has their LLU hardware, need to buy a GEA link cable from the Openreach fibre to their LLU suite, which costs £2000. This all happens inside the telephone exchange.

It is feasible that Sky may be waiting on backhaul upgrades to ensure that people jumping from 10 Mbps to 80 Mbps do see a speed improvement, rather than contention making a mockery of the better connection.

Best advice, find over Sky customers keen on the FTTC service and pressure Sky for more detail

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bazookajoe
(newbie) Fri 13-Jul-12 11:41:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that. Yes the exchange does have Sky/Easynet LLU.
I keep calling Sky every week but they have no details or news on when it will be enabled

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bazookajoe
(newbie) Fri 13-Jul-12 11:41:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that. Yes the exchange does have Sky/Easynet LLU.
I keep calling Sky every week but they have no details or news on when it will be enabled
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Fri 13-Jul-12 11:41:09
Print Post

The sign will not say "BT Infinity" as that is a BT Retail product. It is a generic "Faster Broadband Fibre available here" one.

SKY do not need to run anything to the CAB, they need to connect their MSAN in the exchange which has the head end of the FTTC fibres (not necessarily the same as the one for your voice / ADSL) to the OpenReach GEA and also install additional backhaul to ensure that they dont oversubscribe the connections.

Just a question of time.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Jul-12 23:55:08
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:
The sign will not say "BT Infinity" as that is a BT Retail product. It is a generic "Faster Broadband Fibre available here" one.

i was thinking that when i read the OP message, how on earth can BT retail stick a poster on the cabinet. It would nto surprise me mind you as it is the same company. but I think other ISps would complain and so they should,.

I still think Bt retail get a better deal form Open reach and Bt wholesale than other companies,

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALL PAY Wireless broadband
Standard User techguy
(committed) Sun 22-Jul-12 16:50:23
Print Post

Not sure of the significance of this or whether it is similar to BTW or 02 Wholesale type backhaul agreements but looking at both the London Internet Exchange and PeeringDB it looks as though Sky Broadband is being separated from Easynet as it now has its own AS number so could they be physically separating everything down to the exchange level to separate consumer (Sky Broadband) from business traffic (Easynet), if so it could explain the delay.

MrS probably will be able to shed more light on this

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Edited by techguy (Sun 22-Jul-12 16:51:04)

Print Thread

Jump to