User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jeff1106uk
(experienced) Sun 15-Jul-12 19:45:39
Print Post

Cease placed on line

[link to this post]

About to move phone and broadband to Sky, instead of waiting for a MAC Sky have placed a cease on my line.

My current broadband provider (Vivaciti) say Sky do this a lot and there will be a cease charge, I am not paying this if I am charged, surely Sky are supposed to wait for a MAc code before transferring the service.

Also if I understand it correctly because there is a cease in place I now can't get a Mac code?

Asked about this in the Sky online help forum 4 days ago and nothing from a Sky rep at all, can't even PM one as they have PMs disabled!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's room for all of Gods creatures ...... right next to the mashed potatoes!

Edited by jeff1106uk (Sun 15-Jul-12 19:46:49)

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Jul-12 20:23:00
Print Post

Re: Cease placed on line

[re: jeff1106uk] [link to this post]

Sky can't use MACs. They unbundle the whole service.

Even if you supply them a MAC, they won't (and can't) use it.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Jul-12 20:24:29
Print Post

Ring them, or failing that write to them, as for the cease charge would you not of had to pay this anyway ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Jul-12 23:23:06
Print Post

Sky placed a cease on your line before they have control of it? Is that even possible?

Oliver.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Jul-12 23:26:57
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Sky placed a cease on your line before they have control of it? Is that even possible?

I guess once the OP signs up for Sky's voice services - Sky will have organised Openreach transfer of voice services to their equipment - and THAT probably automatically causes a cease to be raised of any existing broadband service on the BT retail voice line.

James be* pro (16.8 / 1.2 sync) - BQM - FTTC cab installed 18-jun-2012 - not yet active - est 44.6 / 6.5

Edited by jchamier (Sun 15-Jul-12 23:27:23)

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Jul-12 23:31:24
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Something sounds wrong then, because a migration isn't a cease, even when it's BT Wholesale to MPF, and so the Openreach cease charge shouldn't apply.

Oliver.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Jul-12 23:35:01
Print Post

Something sounds wrong then, because a migration isn't a cease, even when it's BT Wholesale to MPF, and so the Openreach cease charge shouldn't apply.

Migrating the voice line will cause a cease of the BTw broadband - that is correct. Now I would guess in many cases any cease charge is paid for by the new LLU ISP.

James be* pro (16.8 / 1.2 sync) - BQM - FTTC cab installed 18-jun-2012 - not yet active - est 44.6 / 6.5
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Jul-12 23:43:10
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Migrating the voice line will cause a cease of the BTw broadband - that is correct. Now I would guess in many cases any cease charge is paid for by the new LLU ISP.

The cease charge is levied because an engineer has to unjumper broadband at the exchange when broadband is cancelled. In the case of a migration, the engineer is paid by the "gaining" ISP to move the line to the new kit (typically the ISP does not pass this on to the customer). So there is meant to be a charge for cease or migration, but not both.

Oliver.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Jul-12 08:20:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:

The cease charge is levied because an engineer has to unjumper broadband at the exchange when broadband is cancelled. In the case of a migration, the engineer is paid by the "gaining" ISP to move the line to the new kit (typically the ISP does not pass this on to the customer). So there is meant to be a charge for cease or migration, but not both.

Makes sense. Two complete guesses then, it was raised as two jobs, rather than a migration. Or the losing ISP is trying to claw back some money.

Standard User TJNewton
(regular) Mon 16-Jul-12 11:44:09
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

When I switched they wouldn't send the router out until I had provided them with a MAC. One thing I did find out is that you have to phone in the MAC.

In the emails I received they said to enter it online but I couldn't find where to do it on the website. When I spoke to them the guy told me that they have had problems with the web entry system and that you need to phone it in.

I'm guessing that once you've placed your order they immediately start the switch from your existing provider i.e. ceasing the service but the process stalls if you haven't provided them with a MAC. But only a guess.

Sky Broadband Unlimited.

Come back with that goats head Jason we need it for the soup!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to