User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Sat 21-Jul-12 19:33:30
Print Post

Sky LLU

[link to this post]

I have the full Sky LLU Service broadband, talk and line rental but what I don't understand is, why Sky still have my phone line connected via BT. I was told this by Sky and the 17070 Service gives me the BT Line Test Facility...

Why would Sky do this, surely they are losing money... I'm definatly on Sky's Broadband LLU as it connects via Easynet and I'm achieving just over 20mb sync...

Is this normal?

Whilst I'm here and I've asked a while ago but how can I get Sky to sort my upload speed out?

I never get a greater upload that half meg and I have a very good noise margin etc. so I know I can achieve a greater upload. I've contacted Sky and explained the situation with details of my noise margin and there reply was they can't to anything about it.

I've heard that its Sky's profiling and how it's worked our, is this true...?

It looks like Sky are using the Downstream Noise Margin to work out the Upload Speed as other ISPs use the down noise margin for the downstream and the up for the upstream not both worked out based on the down noise....
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Jul-12 20:06:26
Print Post

Re: Sky LLU

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

1st you are not Full LLU But SMPF (partial LLU ) And if i was you i wouldn't be wanting to be put on Full LLU because as you are ,you could switch to another ISP easier and quicker , unless the dummies at sky wouldn't give you a MAC code

As for the upstream sync Although the advertised cap is 1.3mbits on sky no one appears to ever on got a sync of 1.3mbps on sky , if you are getting around 1100kbps 1.1mbps then thats about the most you will get , probably down to their DLM or the fact that they will not switch anyone to fastpath
When i was with UkOnline (which sky closed down) there was no DLM and you on request could have fastpath the default target margin was 6db , they would also uncap the connection, which was then upto 24mbps and the upload upto 1.2mbps . and some where able to also have the noise margin set to 1,2,3.4.5 db by Dan (Easynet engineer)as well as other tweaks made that only he was able to do to get the max potential from the connection ,Sky use basically a one size fits all approach, and are a mass market ISP

(experienced) Sat 21-Jul-12 20:09:45
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

My upload is NEVER greater than 660, this is what I don't understand especially with Great Line Stats :/

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Jul-12 21:22:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by shaneosborne:
My upload is NEVER greater than 660, this is what I don't understand especially with Great Line Stats :/
Maybe down to the router/modem, as you are connected to the older Easynet kit at the exchange you can confirm this usually by the 1st hop after the router ,used to look something like cr0.XXX .easynet.XXX
A conexant chipset got the highest sync on ukonline, the billion 7402 (check out the ukonline forums for details of the models that are know to have the conexant chipset , you may be able to get one on flea bay cheap, and sorting out the sky user name and password shouldn't be too difficult as there is plenty of info about that about or there was

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 21-Jul-12 21:22:46)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Jul-12 23:23:45
Print Post

Why would Sky do this, surely they are losing money... I'm definatly on Sky's Broadband LLU as it connects via Easynet and I'm achieving just over 20mb sync...

Is this normal?

Sky have two systems, the former Easynet equipment which only does broadband, and the new Sky Voice & Broadband Network (SVBN) which does voice and broadband.

Its possible in your exchange they don't have SVBN or its out of connections due to other customers - so you're on the older Sky Talk with line rental service where they use the Wholesale Line Rental (WLR) offering from BT. WLR is also used by O2 and BE for their voice line packages, and used by many other vendors who don't have voice equipment at the exchange.

It doesn't mean Sky are losing money if for example they would have to spend £10m to install SVBN at your exchange.

James be* pro (16.8 / 1.2 sync) - BQM - FTTC cab installed 18-jun-2012 - not yet active - est 44.6 / 6.5
(experienced) Mon 23-Jul-12 17:35:51
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

I'm Connected to the Easynet Equipment and using the Billion 7800n which I have tweaked but it's this damn upload speed... I have such good line stats and plenty of Upstream Noise Margin but don't understand why the upload is set so low. As I've said previously, I've told Sky this and they say there is nothing they can do even though my line is capable of a greater upload. I just don't understand, if my line is capable of more, why ain't I getting it. Must be a profile issue as previously noted or they go by the downstream snr to work out the upload crazy
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Jul-12 18:22:45
Print Post

Try to get through to the Customer Solutions Team. Tier 1 are limited in the profiles they can apply, and line speeds are often capped too low by them.

Oliver.
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Mon 23-Jul-12 20:28:27
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I had exactly the same problem and SKY would no nothing about it.

I moved to BE* and got rid of the problem!

SKY are, as has been stated, a mass market ISP and put stabilty over performance to minimise the number of support calls.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Jul-12 21:18:06
Print Post

I'm Connected to the Easynet Equipment and using the Billion 7800n which I have tweaked but it's this damn upload speed... I have such good line stats and plenty of Upstream Noise Margin but don't understand why the upload is set so low. As I've said previously, I've told Sky this and they say there is nothing they can do even though my line is capable of a greater upload. I just don't understand, if my line is capable of more, why ain't I getting it. Must be a profile issue as previously noted or they go by the downstream snr to work out the upload crazy
The router you are using whilst it being a good choice has a broadcom chipset this does not match the chipset in the line card at the exchange as they are conexant , for some reason that chipset will only give the highest sync rates to a matched router such as some of the Billion 7402 range , netgear have one or 2 with a conexant chipset the DG834 G V5 for one
Just out of interest what is your upstream SNR and attenuation ?

Edited by tommy45 (Mon 23-Jul-12 22:02:11)

Print Thread

Jump to