User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User psprog
(committed) Wed 25-Jul-12 17:03:41
Print Post

Sky LLU - can't order broadband until line active?

[link to this post]

This is frustrating.

I'm with BT and O2 Broadband (legacy package) but was tempted by Sky's deal so I switched online. Provided MAC code etc and activation day for the line is tomorrow.

Just received a txt saying that my broadband order has failed. When I phoned them now they said that I have to have the line active first, then the next day I have to phone up to order the broadband. The CS operative said something about there being lack of capacity at my exchange (Leamington Spa) - maybe this also explains why their fibre checker shows nothing for my address, despite me being able to get BT Infinity for over a year now and the big green box is right outside my flat (2 of the flats in my block have it)

I thought the whole point was to switch the same day - certainly that's what's happened when I switched 2 or 3 times in the past. All nice and seamless.

Anyone come across this before? I tried to switch to Sky a couple of years ago and had exactly the same issue so cancelled the whole order.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Jul-12 17:49:10
Print Post

Re: Sky LLU - can't order broadband until line active?

[re: psprog] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by psprog:
I thought the whole point was to switch the same day - certainly that's what's happened when I switched 2 or 3 times in the past. All nice and seamless.
I bet you switched only BB then; now you are switching both!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Jul-12 08:26:15
Print Post

It sounds like they are going to put you on the non-LLU connect product. If that is the case then it has a very bad reputation for performance and is nowhere near as good as the LLU product.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User psprog
(committed) Wed 15-Aug-12 21:43:51
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I've now switched to Sky - the confusion lies due to the fact that they can't put me on the SVBN network, so I've been connected to the old Easynet kit at the exchange and even though my line is with Sky, it's actually BT who are provisioning it for the time being.

Apparently I'll be migrated over to SVBN eventually.

Still frustrating about the fibre though as I know of at least one person in Leamington who has Sky Fibre, but he was a triallist so they probably just don't have enough kit in the exchange.

Pleased with the speeds btw - my 10-day DLM finished today and the downstream noise margin was stuck on 13.5db, resulting in a rubbish 12Mbps. I gave them a call and they promptly gave it a kick so I'm on a very low 3db but this gives me 18.8Mbps so much better than I was getting with O2 (or Bulldog/C&W before that). Just hoping it's stable as 3db is a tad low but it's been up all day so far.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Wed 15-Aug-12 22:16:27
Print Post

This is the first I've heard of sky offering 3db noise margins.

Very interesting!
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Aug-12 08:31:55
Print Post

That 3dB seems a new one for Sky - they wouldn't do it for me.

However, I do run 3dB on a Be wholesale line and on a 12Mb-ish connection it is rock solid for me. With your line speeds you likely have a stable line and therefore 3dB could be a very viable margin.
  Print Thread

Jump to