User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Xplosion
(learned) Fri 10-Aug-12 21:51:36
Print Post

How can I improve my speed?

[link to this post]

I am currently receiving a consistent 13 Meg download speed (although the tbb speed test shows 11 Meg) from Sky.

My Broadband Speed Test

ADSL Link | Downstream | Upstream
Connection Speed | 15357 kbps | 1105 kbps
Line Attenuation | 19.0 dB | 11.8 dB
Noise Margin | 6.1 dB | 8.9 dB

I am using all the basic methods to keep my speed high. For example: a direct connection using the Sky router through the provided ADSL filter into the master socket; keeping the router on at all times.

What I'm wondering is bearing in mind I'm very close to my exchange is there any improvements to be made to my download speed?

Edited by Xplosion (Fri 10-Aug-12 21:52:01)

Standard User iand
(experienced) Fri 10-Aug-12 21:52:39
Print Post

Re: How can I improve my speed?

[re: Xplosion] [link to this post]

get fttc, otherwise not much

IanD
Standard User Xplosion
(learned) Fri 10-Aug-12 21:54:24
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iand:
get fttc

Thanks for replying but I cannot get FTTC yet frown (my exchange). Would have ordered it in a shot otherwise

Edited by Xplosion (Fri 10-Aug-12 21:56:11)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Lively
(newbie) Sat 11-Aug-12 08:35:50
Print Post

Not sure if Sky would enable Fast path but you could give them a ring and find out, you might need to ask to be put onto a gaming profile for them to do it.
Also follow this guide: http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php?type=html
Took my 2Mb connection straight to 8Mb but it varies as the wiring in my house is 1980s.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Aug-12 08:59:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by Xplosion:
I am using all the basic methods to keep my speed high. For example: a direct connection using the Sky router through the provided ADSL filter into the master socket; keeping the router on at all times.

What I'm wondering is bearing in mind I'm very close to my exchange is there any improvements to be made to my download speed?

Your attenuation is 19db which is very close (less than 1/2 mile I suspect) your noise margin is quite low 6.1db but you have lowish sync by comparison. I'm 29db attenuation (about 1.1miles) and 6db margin yet I get a sync of 16.7megabit (and speedtests at 14megabit).

I would try the test socket *inside* the master (assuming you have NTE5) , but if that makes no difference then its down to the quality of the cable and any interference in the street.

Fastpath etc won't make any difference to speeds, may affect latency (ping) sometimes crucial for gamers.

James be* pro (16.8 / 1.2 sync) - BQM - FTTC cab installed 18-jun-2012 - not yet active - est 44.6 / 6.5
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Aug-12 11:34:28
Print Post

You should be getting 21 Meg Sync, 17 Meg Speedtest, so there is room for improvement.

Ring wire? Test socket?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Xplosion
(learned) Sat 11-Aug-12 16:27:01
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Your attenuation is 19db which is very close (less than 1/2 mile I suspect)

Yes, 0.33 miles from the exchange to be excact tongue.
In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
You should be getting 21 Meg Sync, 17 Meg Speedtest, so there is room for improvement.

Ring wire? Test socket?

My point exactly, looking back to this thread when I joined, everyone said I'd get full sync and I have to say 13 Meg left me a bit disappointed.

Well I'm on holiday now but I'll try to remove the ring wire and try the test socket when I get back. I'll post any results.

Thanks,
Xplosion

(regular) Sat 18-Aug-12 16:42:11
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Back home now so I've fitted my I-Plate as I'm not allowed to disconnect ring wire. Haven't tried the test socket yet but may do next.

What I'd like to ask is should I expect an immediate change to my sync speed? I ask this because nothing has changed as of yet. Should I ring Sky to ask them to start line training again?

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sat 18-Aug-12 16:46:05
Print Post

You'll either see an improvement in your line speed, or if the line speed is capped the noise margin should improve from your current 6.1. If you get your noise margin to something around 9 or above then you could ask sky to increase your line speed. If its between 6.1 and 9 they could claim that its just standard variation on your line.....

Kris

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Fibre install date 24/08/2012
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Aug-12 17:36:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by Xplosion:
I'm not allowed to disconnect ring wire.
Why not?

Why the reluctance to try test socket? It's the only way to take your own wiring out the equation and it's so simple.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to