User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lowe88
(newbie) Wed 29-Aug-12 18:23:47
Print Post

Just had SKY FTTC installed. Engineer was an ass.

[link to this post]

So, after almost 3 weeks of waiting for internet I had it installed today.

He phones me and says he's outside my house. I look outside there is no one there. I tell him he has the wrong street. He tries to tell me I don't live on xxx street and I tell him I do live on xxx street. After a while of trying to convince him he's on the wrong street he finally realizes he's in the wrong town on a street which is named the same as mines. Alright, fair enough. I'm a little irritated he didn't take my word for it, but no big deal.

He turns up, comes in and asks where the master socket. I show him to the dining room. I tell him I don't want it installed in the dining room, but in the livingroom next to my SKY box so I can connect the sky wire to the socket. He tells me it's not his responsibility. So now I need to run a 5 metre extension to the Sky HD box. That hardly seems reasonable.

Anyway, ran a speedtest. Not overly impressed. I'm hoping the speed will improve?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2147642623.png
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Wed 29-Aug-12 18:46:27
Print Post

Re: Just had SKY FTTC installed. Engineer was an ass.

[re: lowe88] [link to this post]

Looks like your on of the "half speed" customers good luck getting that fixed.

Sky Unlimited
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Aug-12 18:51:25
Print Post

What connection speed does the sky router report, and was that over a wired connection?

The engineer works for BT Openreach, i doubt sky can request a polite one smile

I have to say the one who installed my fibre was excellent.

Kris

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Aug-12 20:18:18
Print Post

I believe it's the voice side of Openreach (BT) that can move your master socket.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Aug-12 20:30:51
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
I believe it's the voice side of Openreach (BT) that can move your master socket.

Openreach is only one organisation, they have engineers, and senior engineers (SFI) - they don't have voice/data separation. BT retail has voice and data (BT Broadband / BT Infinity) divisions. They both use Openreach wires and engineers.

An Openreach engineer CAN move the master socket - obvious this one didn't want to.

James be* pro (16.8/1.2) - Ordered Sky Fibre Pro 45.6/6.5 - 4th sept
13 years of broadband - ntl:cablemodem/BTbusiness/metronet/bulldog/BE/Sky
BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Aug-12 22:52:51
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Not 100% sure on that, believe some of the newer installers are not as fully trained in all the aspects of Openreach. Also there is the subsection who can do things like splice fibre etc

Generally they DO NOT move the master socket for FTTC installs, but rather install a data extension kit. Worst case when engineers are short of time is for them to leave the kit with a quick explanation. They are heavily time constrained on jobs these days.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User millar_keith
(newbie) Wed 29-Aug-12 23:18:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

As i understand it, the guys installing the FTTC are contractors and are the 400 or so ex-armed forces personnel that OP has just recruited. If you need anything else doing then you'll have to get Sky to book a OP engineer to come out to you.

See this link - Another 400 Jobs

Edited by millar_keith (Wed 29-Aug-12 23:19:18)

Standard User lowe88
(newbie) Wed 29-Aug-12 23:29:09
Print Post

Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 39999 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 10000 kbps

I'm connecting wirelessly, I'll test wired tomorrow I just didn't have the time today. I'm using a netgear wnda3200
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Aug-12 23:42:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Not 100% sure on that, believe some of the newer installers are not as fully trained in all the aspects of Openreach. Also there is the subsection who can do things like splice fibre etc

True - and I guess if you order a £20k per annum circuit from BT they probably send along some senior staff with fibre experience. smile

Generally they DO NOT move the master socket for FTTC installs, but rather install a data extension kit. Worst case when engineers are short of time is for them to leave the kit with a quick explanation. They are heavily time constrained on jobs these days.

That makes sense unfortunately. I work for a company that is time orientated too :-/

James be* pro (16.8/1.2) - Ordered Sky Fibre Pro 45.6/6.5 - 4th sept
13 years of broadband - ntl:cablemodem/BTbusiness/metronet/bulldog/BE/Sky
BQM
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Aug-12 23:48:13
Print Post

Hasn't BT heard of postcodes?

Wireless speedtests are not indicative of the state of your BB connection, only the state of your wireless. Always do wired speedtests when assessing speeds.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to