User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RayGreen
(experienced) Sat 15-Sep-12 16:49:35
Print Post

New Router

[link to this post]

I'm using a Netgear NG834GT router which is G rated. I noted that Sky now issue the Sagem 2504N router which is N rated.. As all my equipment is N rated I thought I would give Sky a call to purchase one. To my surprise that are sending me a free one, as my router is 5 years old.

Has anyone upgraded from the Netgeat to the Sagem and was it an improvment?

Thanks in advance smile

I'm Happy Burning rubber on aSky Med Connection. my Sky Netgear Router/Bio Hazards removed with AVG Anitvirus (Free)

Dislexia rules KO! (So laugh with me and not at me smile )
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 15-Sep-12 17:27:49
Print Post

Re: New Router

[re: RayGreen] [link to this post]

The 2504n is nothing fancy, but it does provide pretty good wireless coverage

It doesnt have the most fancy user interface, but you can find most things you would want to change.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Sep-12 19:00:13
Print Post

Yeah I got a free one too. I also had the netgear.

I just complained about poor WiFi signal since my neighbours had set up wireless networks and mentioned the extended range N can offer.

I've since upgraded to fibre and was sent another new router (the same hardware but with the fibre firmware)

I find the 2504N to have better overall WiFi performance, however the web interface is annoyingly slow to navigate.

Kris

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Sep-12 22:12:39
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

That's good to hear, usually it takes a threat of cancellation to get a free replacement router out of Sky when one goes faulty after the first 12 months, and even that doesn't always work.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Sat 15-Sep-12 22:13:32)

Standard User simon194
(member) Sun 16-Sep-12 10:03:08
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
That's good to hear, usually it takes a threat of cancellation to get a free replacement router out of Sky when one goes faulty after the first 12 months, and even that doesn't always work.

It's probably because they are trying to get rid of the old stock of 2504N's ahead of the launch of the new SR101 hub.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sun 16-Sep-12 12:11:36
Print Post

The wifi range is a heap better! It's much much much better.

As for stability it never crashes or needs a reboot.
You'll be pleased smile
Standard User RayGreen
(experienced) Sun 16-Sep-12 17:16:44
Print Post

Is it possible to use the old G Class router as an access point with an N class router?

I'm Happy Burning rubber on aSky Med Connection. my Sky Netgear Router/Bio Hazards removed with AVG Anitvirus (Free)

Dislexia rules KO! (So laugh with me and not at me smile )
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 16-Sep-12 17:38:39
Print Post

Yes it is.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sun 16-Sep-12 20:27:06
Print Post

Yes, you need to change the IP address in the G router to 192.168.0.2 (so it doesn't clash with the N router) and switch off DHCP so that only one router allocates IP addresses on your network. You should also update the IP range used by the N router to start from 192.168.0.3.

I'm using 2 routers at the moment, but found that the better signal of the N router meant i didn't need an additional acces point. So the 2nd router is just acting as a network switch.

Kris

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
  Print Thread

Jump to