User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User iand
(experienced) Sat 22-Sep-12 15:25:37
Print Post

Have SKY Fiber Modem

[link to this post]

well, I received my sky fiber broadband modern this week. its one of the Sagemcom F@ST2504n models (rev v7), from the documentation in the box. It actually does ADSL and will also connect to the BT fibre router via Ethernet. I am just using it via the ADSL port now. Will be waiting to see what happens when I get the fiber install next week.

IanD
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sat 22-Sep-12 19:14:48
Print Post

Re: Have SKY Fiber Modem

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Yeah the fact that the ADSL side of the router is still active is relatively unknown fact. I don't know why they don't ship the router with this dual mode firmware out by default.

It means you can get all your router settings (port forwarding etc) setup before your activation day.

When my engineer came he'd never done a sky fibre install before so you may have to change the routers WAN interface over yourself.

Kris

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User iand
(experienced) Sat 22-Sep-12 19:33:02
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

yeh,

have changed all of the settings on the new router to my home network. Will test for a few days and make sure all is ok for the fiber install. I have the router set for auto between fiber and adsl, so hoping it will just kick in. the adsl currently takes about 3-5mins to connect the Mer session

IanD

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sat 22-Sep-12 20:56:40
Print Post

Yeh Sky ADSL takes an age to connect. It's why when a sky line starts dropping out it's REALLY noticable.

On many ISPs a dropout can get reconnected in a few seconds, with sky it can take several minutes.

The Sky routers a great bit of kit. All settings are basic but it doesn't crash and works rather great overall. If your laptops support 144Mbps wifi speeds you can easily see 70+ Mbps over wifi using this. The wifi range is really good too I found.

Surely an openreach guy is popping round to install fibre. he will disconnect the adsl etc for you then
Standard User simon194
(member) Tue 25-Sep-12 00:44:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by Kr1s69:
Yeah the fact that the ADSL side of the router is still active is relatively unknown fact. I don't know why they don't ship the router with this dual mode firmware out by default.

It's because the 2504N is being replaced by the SR101 hub which will do both.
Standard User iand
(experienced) Tue 25-Sep-12 18:54:23
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

The F@ST2504n actually does do both "out of the box". I have run the same on both adsl2+ and FTTC without changing any settings and using different cables.

IanD
Standard User simon194
(member) Wed 26-Sep-12 01:01:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by iand:
The F@ST2504n actually does do both "out of the box". I have run the same on both adsl2+ and FTTC without changing any settings and using different cables.

I know the v7 Sagem is dual mode, I was just pointing out that the Sagem is being replaced by the SR101 which an 'official' dual mode router and will be sent out to new ADSL and fibre customers when it's launched proper.

There isn't really much point repackaging the v7 as a dual mode router as it's EOL.
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Sep-12 19:59:23
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Sky Fibre only started in April, so they could have started shipping the 2504n then with dual mode firmware.

I got a 2504n in June (old router was playing up) and then another in August when i got fibre. Seems a bit of a waste.

2nd option - sky can do firmware upgrades automatically - why couldn't my firmware be updated remotely to support fibre?

Kris

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Sep-12 20:31:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by Kr1s69:
2nd option - sky can do firmware upgrades automatically - why couldn't my firmware be updated remotely to support fibre?

apparently someone on the fibre trial had exactly this happen - but it was deemed too complex for rollout / support.

It makes sense Sky are to be rolling out a new router that does both in one, like the BT HomeHub 3.

James BT Infinity 2 - 19/9/2012 - Install-sync: 52/12 - Test: 50/10 - Est: 44.6/6.5 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
Standard User iand
(experienced) Thu 27-Sep-12 20:00:39
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

want to know how to get rid of the old router as have no need for it now. Do SKY support athe wee initiative? will look at their web site.

IanD

Edited by iand (Thu 27-Sep-12 20:01:24)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to