User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User iand
(experienced) Tue 25-Sep-12 19:02:23
Print Post

Yippee have sky fiber

[link to this post]

Subject says it all. FTTC is now installed.

I have the FTTC Sky fiber 40/2 setup. I was hoping this was 40/10. I do not know is this is incorrect or not.

Installed on the day we agreed. Only problem was the engineer missed connecting the voice telephone line and had to go and do that again.

My line supports 96M down and 43M up... so can upgrade once the children use more capacity....

IanD

Edited by iand (Tue 25-Sep-12 19:04:48)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Sep-12 19:23:00
Print Post

Re: Yippee have sky fiber

[re: iand] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iand:
I have the FTTC Sky fiber 40/2 setup. I was hoping this was 40/10. I do not know is this is incorrect or not.

It should be 40 down and 10 up sync - giving around 38 Mbps download and 8 Mbps upload in speed testers.

James BT Infinity 2 - 19/9/2012 - Install-sync: 52/12 - Test: 50/10 - Est: 44.6/6.5 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
Standard User iand
(experienced) Tue 25-Sep-12 20:22:00
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

The openreach engineer said all I have bought from sky is 40M down and 2M up, which is what I am seeing. do you think this needs to be changed as thought it was 40M/10M. I suppose a call may be needed to sky?

IanD

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Sep-12 20:23:35
Print Post

The openreach engineer said all I have bought from sky is 40M down and 2M up, which is what I am seeing. do you think this needs to be changed as thought it was 40M/10M. I suppose a call may be needed to sky?

Openreach guy is wrong. Sky started selling 40/2 but in around March/April this year changed everyone to 40/10 when they "soft launched" the Pro 80/20 service. Pro is now on the website. The website doesn't really show upload speeds though frown

There was a good thread on SkyUser back then but it seems all new provides should get 40/10.

James BT Infinity 2 - 19/9/2012 - Install-sync: 52/12 - Test: 50/10 - Est: 44.6/6.5 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
Standard User iand
(experienced) Tue 25-Sep-12 20:27:40
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

The way it was mentioned was the engineer looked to have set the speeds, or he was told what had been set on the line. Not sure if that was the case or not, but its definatly 40/2 as I saw this on the test kit and the engineer made a point of saying this....

IanD
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Sep-12 20:29:21
Print Post

The way it was mentioned was the engineer looked to have set the speeds, or he was told what had been set on the line. Not sure if that was the case or not, but its definatly 40/2 as I saw this on the test kit and the engineer made a point of saying this....

Yes - someone at Sky has ordered the wrong product from Openreach sadly. The old one frown

Openreach sell the ISPs quite a few products, 40/2, 40/10, 80/20 are the ones I'm aware of. The sky ordering system has its own problems (as my experience trying to order showed).

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Sep-12 10:45:29
Print Post

The engineers don't set the sync rate.
As JC says, someone at Sky has ordered the wrong product. It can't be an incorrect port, as you'd not be getting a PPP session. Time to speak to Sky.

Standard User iand
(experienced) Wed 26-Sep-12 18:08:34
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

thanks for that. It was the way the engineer mentioned it that I took as he set the settings. I will contact SKY customer services.

IanD
Standard User Chivers
(newbie) Wed 26-Sep-12 18:41:24
Print Post

I have the same problem. Here's what I did:

Prepared my explanation:
My problem is the upload speed on my new My Sky Fibre line. I think my system should have a UpStream Connection Speed of 10000 kbps. My system is uploading at UpStream Connection Speed 2000 kbps but my son-in-law's Sky Fibre system is uploading at UpStream Connection Speed 10000 kbps. Other details of my system are - It was installed yesterday, and is working. The BT Openreach technician said that the line was operating at the designed maximum speed and showed me the figures on his test meter connected to the wall socket: DownStream Connection Speed 40000 kbps UpStream Connection Speed 2000 kbps. The same figures are on the page at http://192.168.0.1/sky_router_status.html According to http://speedtester.bt.com/beta/ at 08.00 hours today my Download Speed is 27.72Mpbs Upload Speed is 1.85Mbps and Ping is 22.50, but I have seen the ping speed much lower, as low as 15. And the speed measured on speedtest net is also good, see http://www.speedtest.net/result/2203252850.png

I went to http://contactus.sky.com/broadband/technical-issues/... and hit "Live Chat"

Typed in my greetings.. Asked to chat to someone about Sky Fibre. They put me through.

When chatting with the right person I cut and pasted my explanation. They took some identification details and checked the line. My reply from a very polite advisor was:
[Advisor's name]: it has come to Skys attention a small amount of customers are being activated on the old Fibre package of up to 2 mbps and i can see you have been effected Sky aim to have resolved for you within 7 working days and correct your upload to up to 10 mbps

I think that's good customer service.
Standard User iand
(experienced) Wed 26-Sep-12 19:19:00
Print Post

[re: Chivers] [link to this post]

Yes same as me. I contacted live support and was given the sky fibre telephone number. This has a 20min wait for now. Will ring later or tomorrow to ask for a change.

IanD
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to