User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User alloneword
(regular) Thu 27-Sep-12 12:10:18
Print Post

Couple of things i'm worried about b4 i sign up

[link to this post]

I'm halfway through a 12 months contract for it's TV but WILL be dumping that when it ends.

However I'm thinking of taking the line rental at £14.50 a month and there BB Unlimited deal for £10 a month, but I'm worried about moving away from my BT land line, in the past some things always needed a BT line so what are the disadvantages of having a Sky land line?

Also what are the disadvantages of having there broadband deals I'm sure Sky block places like pirate bay and newzbin etc, anything i should know before I move over?

All1
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Sep-12 12:14:21
Print Post

Re: Couple of things i'm worried about b4 i sign up

[re: alloneword] [link to this post]

Disadvantage may be that if you return to another provider in the future a connection fee of between free and £125 may apply. All depends on the offers at the time.

If Sky is told to block stuff by the courts it complies
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4936-sky-has-star...
All the big providers do this sort of thing, as would most small providers if given a valid court order.

You might negotiate a deal to keep the TV cheaply as part of signing up.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(committed) Thu 27-Sep-12 13:59:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I too would be concerned about re connection fee, the blocking of sites is about as useful as the song "hole in my bucket" we are somewhere in the second verse.

My concern would be unrestricted use and the price, as many flock to sky you might as well be on a heavily managed line if you get congestion problems high pings slow downs etc. Its not unheard to wait 3months if not longer for Sky to sort it out.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....

Edited by NilSatisOptimum (Thu 27-Sep-12 14:01:00)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User alloneword
(regular) Thu 27-Sep-12 16:38:26
Print Post

[re: NilSatisOptimum] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by NilSatisOptimum:
My concern would be unrestricted use and the price, as many flock to sky you might as well be on a heavily managed line if you get congestion problems high pings slow downs etc. Its not unheard to wait 3months if not longer for Sky to sort it out.
Jesus not what i wanted to hear, I only get 5mbits on a good day so don't fancy that slowing down much more, taken me ages to work out sky was my option, maybe i'll give up that idea and go back to my first option of using O2 reseller like Vivaciti on my cheap line rental i have, but won't make up my mind till i get a few more replies.

All1
(committed) Thu 27-Sep-12 16:59:57
Print Post

You might not have problem, could be that SKY have sorted things locally and recently, however those are risks at the price.

I'm alright Jack....
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Thu 27-Sep-12 17:10:04
Print Post

Also remember that Sky underpower ADSL2+ lines to save money (and bandwidth). For example if your line attenuation is 20db, then in theory you should easily be getting >20 meg on a ADSL2+ service...with Sky you'd be lucky to get 15 meg. @ 7db noise margin. Just something to bear in mind.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Thu 27-Sep-12 17:10:39)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Sep-12 17:13:54
Print Post

Congestion is rare on Sky, there was a burst in late 2011, but largely fixed, and the risk is present with all providers.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Thu 27-Sep-12 17:15:57
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

SKY DLM now uses 3dB/6dB/7dB target downstream SNRs. Upstream target SNR remains unchanged, SVBN Sky can't set lower than 7dB target SNRs. Only DLM can do this.

I'm alright Jack....
Standard User iand
(experienced) Thu 27-Sep-12 19:59:11
Print Post

been with sky for over a year now. If the £xx cost is in your budget then go for it. We used to worry about the need to change mobile numbers jumping from service to service. That is gone now or people do not worry. The same will happen with land line numbers... I have just moved to sky fttc so fixed for another year on that service.

IanD
  Print Thread

Jump to