User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CurlyWhirly
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Sep-12 11:28:15
Print Post

Change from the official Sky router ?

[link to this post]

I have a Netgear DG834GT router spare and I was wondering whether it would offer a more stable connection with Sky broadband than using it's own router as I am plagued with disconnections and not only in the evenings (when the SNR margin drops) but through the day as well.

I know I have a long line (54 dB) but when I was with O2 (before migrating to Sky) I never had any trouble using the Netgear router and I was able to get a higher sync both upstream and downstream back then.

Any advice would be most welcome.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Sep-12 11:30:16
Print Post

Re: Change from the official Sky router ?

[re: CurlyWhirly] [link to this post]

p.s. I have 2 Sky routers as I rang them up and complained about my router dropping all the time and so they sent me a slightly older model.

It doesn't matter whether I use the router with the 2012 or the 2011 firmware, it still drops frown
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 28-Sep-12 11:31:14
Print Post

Have you got your username and password?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Sep-12 11:40:35
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

Yeah I can get into the router stats page.

I know the cause of the problem, my downstream SNR margin drops to around 3 dB and the connection drops.

This hardly used to happen before.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Sep-12 11:42:20
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

Just thought, I am using the default 'Sky' and 'admin' passwords

Should I change them for enhanced security ?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 28-Sep-12 11:50:13
Print Post

I changed mine when I discovered my router admin page was available on the web, but I had been messing about and switched the firewall off blush

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Sep-12 12:16:59
Print Post

Think they mean the username and password for the connection not the router interface. There are websites that will generate it for most but I am not sure if they work for 100% of connections.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Sep-12 16:40:11
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Think they mean the username and password for the connection not the router interface. There are websites that will generate it for most but I am not sure if they work for 100% of connections.

They work for any line that still works with PPPoA but not with any line that is MER only - although I read that MER is being reserved for fibre users, most ADSL users are on PPPoA now.

http://www.cm9.net/skypass/

James BT Infinity 2 - 19/9/2012 - Install-sync: 52/12 - Test: 50/10 - Est: 44.6/6.5 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Sep-12 16:51:25
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

The Asus 55u router I have for review had profiles for Sky, but both failed to work.

Then looked at settings in the Sky modem and it was just pppoa 0/38 VCMux, but did need to clone the WAN MAC address too.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Sep-12 18:34:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The Asus 55u router I have for review had profiles for Sky, but both failed to work.

Then looked at settings in the Sky modem and it was just pppoa 0/38 VCMux, but did need to clone the WAN MAC address too.

Interesting. To use PPPoA you just need your ID/password extracted/generated from a sky router and feed those into any router with 0/38 VCmux set.

To use MER you need a special modified DHCP client which issues the userid & password request in the client-ID field (DHCP option 61) which the majority of routers don't have support for in their user interface. You set the router into IPoA mode (RFC something) similar to O2/BE. Some netgears can be telnetted in and issue the dhcp command manually.

SkyUser forum has more on this - and its how Billion and Draytek have issued beta firmware's for Sky users on MER.

James BT Infinity 2 - 19/9/2012 - Install-sync: 52/12 - Test: 50/10 - Est: 44.6/6.5 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to