User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User francisuk22
(newbie) Sun 30-Sep-12 13:23:38
Print Post

Sky Fibre with 12 devices

[link to this post]

Ok all
Im coming to the end of my Cable - Virgin Media XXL (100 Mbits download and 5 Mbits upload) anyway so i phoned up sky and asked them if fiber was available in my area and yes it was 55Mbits download and 13 upload so heres my questions.

!1) i have about 12 devices (9 LAN with a 1Gbps switch and 3 WiFi) PS3, Xbox 360 and a cctv dvr system 2 android phones and the kids ps vita thats the main daily use also my girlfriend downloads every now and then from sky anytime if shes missed coronation street or emmerdale and also use bbc iplayer on the ps3 for eastenders/casualty in HD also click on a weekend, I didi ask virgin whats my usage and this month been about about 198GB download and 98GB upload. I also do the odd torrenting for linux distros ubuntu/mint

however is my network going to struggle and is it the same as ADSL from when i had sky, I know is copper from my house until outside my property but will this affect it at all? or im i better stay with virgin media, I know all ISP have the moments but the biggest issue i ever had was when i needed a new cable from outside.

also My local exchange is Mill Hill / lwmil in London, I have also asked on there forums to, To see what answer they will say http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Fibre-Broadband/Sky-...

Now: Virgin Media XXL 100 Mbts Download 5 Mbits Upload
Previously had Sky Broadband Unlimited - 6 Mbits Download 768kbps Upload
Sky Fiber Broadband - NOT YET Been told 55Mbits Download 13Mbits Upload Max i can get

Edited by francisuk22 (Sun 30-Sep-12 13:39:31)

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sun 30-Sep-12 14:24:38
Print Post

Re: Sky Fibre with 12 devices

[re: francisuk22] [link to this post]

I have sky fibre and sync at the full 80/20

The estimates are conservative. I was estimated 65 down and 13 up and get 80 down 20 up.

I always have 3 wired and upto 17 wireless devices including phones, printers etc.

Usually we have 3 wired and around 10 wireless running at once. No problems. Can still stream 1080p and get 65Mbps + download

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 30-Sep-12 14:24:57)

Standard User francisuk22
(newbie) Sun 30-Sep-12 15:48:47
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
I have sky fibre and sync at the full 80/20

The estimates are conservative. I was estimated 65 down and 13 up and get 80 down 20 up.

Wow smile your area must hardly have anyone on sky fibre smile keep it why it latests haha smile
In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
I always have 3 wired and upto 17 wireless devices including phones, printers etc.

Usually we have 3 wired and around 10 wireless running at once. No problems. Can still stream 1080p and get 65Mbps + download

Thanks for your info, Ill keep that in mind smile

Now: Virgin Media XXL 100 Mbts Download 5 Mbits Upload
Previously had Sky Broadband Unlimited - 6 Mbits Download 768kbps Upload
Sky Fiber Broadband - NOT YET Been told 55Mbits Download 13Mbits Upload Max i can get

Edited by francisuk22 (Sun 30-Sep-12 15:52:35)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 30-Sep-12 22:37:43
Print Post

Sky at its busier exchanges has 10 Gbps of capacity, so scope for contention is less than with Virgin Media, where you are contending on a smaller link around 200 Mbps mark if memory remembers rightly, obviously it is a lot less users, but simple probability means more like to see better contention with Sky.

The estimates are usually conservative, but there is no guarantee on connection speed.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Sep-12 23:37:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by francisuk22:
Wow smile your area must hardly have anyone on sky fibre smile keep it why it latests haha smile

Don't forget the openreach fibre is essentially point-to-point from the exchange to the home, unlike VM which is contended in the segment in your road/area. Sky/BT/TalkTalk fibre products shouldn't suffer where VM products do in areas with people maxing out the uplink.

James BT Infinity 2 - 19/9/2012 - Install-sync: 52/12 - Test: 50/10 - Est: 44.6/6.5 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
  Print Thread

Jump to