User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mooo
(experienced) Fri 12-Oct-12 00:53:40
Print Post

Return to Donor

[link to this post]

In the light of the impending increase in Line rental of my sky telephone line at my flat. I have decided to move providers to Primus as they have the cheapest line rental package. I dont use the telephone at all. I only use it for my broadband connection. I believe this the case for most people.

The problem the telephone and broadband is provided via MPF LLU (Full LLU). So how do I go about migrating the telephone line to Primus? Somoene mentioned to meI will have to do a "Return to Donor" to BT and from there migrate to Primus.
Im happy to accept there will be downtime on the broadband side of things. As it is likely that will be disconnected when the telephone line is migrated away from Sky. What I want to avoid is my telephone line to be fully disconnected and then forced to stump up a connection charge to get it activated again.

Do I contact sky to start this process? Im assuming all they do is disconnect everything? Or do I conect BT first? Any advice on this would be appeciated.

Moocrazy
[blue Be Unlimited ADSL 2+ 24Mb[/blue]
Sky Broadband

Edited by mooo (Fri 12-Oct-12 00:55:05)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Oct-12 03:11:45
Print Post

Re: Return to Donor

[re: mooo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mooo:
In the light of the impending increase in Line rental of my sky telephone line at my flat. I have decided to move providers to Primus as they have the cheapest line rental package. I dont use the telephone at all. I only use it for my broadband connection. I believe this the case for most people.

Don't forget if you move your voice service this will stop your Sky broadband.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Fri 12-Oct-12 04:14:55
Print Post

The problem the telephone and broadband is provided via MPF LLU (Full LLU). So how do I go about migrating the telephone line to Primus? Somoene mentioned to meI will have to do a "Return to Donor" to BT and from there migrate to Primus.
Im happy to accept there will be downtime on the broadband side of things. As it is likely that will be disconnected when the telephone line is migrated away from Sky. What I want to avoid is my telephone line to be fully disconnected and then forced to stump up a connection charge to get it activated again.

Do I contact sky to start this process? Im assuming all they do is disconnect everything? Or do I conect BT first? Any advice on this would be appeciated.

could you not do what most user do threaten to leave sky because of the price increase tell them were you've found a better deal and 80% of the time theyll give you a big discount of X amount off a month or X amount months free because they know if you switch phone they'll lose both the phone and broadband with you.

When i left Sky for my current provider they offered me a years half price on both broadband and phone, but i still left because i wanted fiber and at the time the ony FTTC provider was LBO (a month n half later OR and sky actually enabled their cab too so was miffed because i really liked sky broadband lol)

worth a try because in my opinion you dont get better ADSL than sky lol

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 70000/23828 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package 588M from the cab 6dB snr 22Aten

Edited by acpsd775 (Fri 12-Oct-12 04:15:53)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mooo
(experienced) Fri 12-Oct-12 08:36:07
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I don't mind the disruption to the broadband. Even when it involves a full cease and re-provide on that. I'll tether my mobile phone in the meantime.
However I want avoid the telephone line being disconnected. As its likely I'll be forced to stump up the rip off reconnection charge to get it reactivated.
Yes Sky are great broadband provider but i am annoyed about this price rise.
You think they would of deferred it for customers who are still within their 12 contract.

Moocrazy
Be Unlimited ADSL 2+ 24Mb
Sky Broadband

Edited by mooo (Fri 12-Oct-12 08:42:58)

Standard User mooo
(experienced) Fri 12-Oct-12 08:36:50
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

I'll give that ago this afternoon and see what they have to say.

Moocrazy
Be Unlimited ADSL 2+ 24Mb
Sky Broadband
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Oct-12 09:55:21
Print Post

However I want avoid the telephone line being disconnected. As its likely I'll be forced to stump up the rip off reconnection charge to get it reactivated.

From my own enquiries with BT, it's free to move an MPF line from Sky to BT (despite many people claiming a £130 BT (re)connection charge). You can check this pretty easily, just start the BT phone package (without broadband) order process and select "I don't have a BT phone line" and then "Yes, I have a working phone number". After a few clicks it should say "One-off cost £0".

Note: this is probably dependant on the line initially being installed on behalf of BT Retail. The vast majority are.

Oliver.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Oct-12 10:17:49
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Usually lots of offers that reduce the cost to the retailer to perhaps £30 to £40, so they accept this and spread it over the period of the contract.

Primus who are almost selling at a loss unless you make a phone call may not absorb the charge.

Question really is who is the original poster moving their broadband too? The sums need to be done carefully as other than two fingers up at Sky, they may end up paying close to, or more money per month.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Oct-12 10:31:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Usually lots of offers that reduce the cost to the retailer to perhaps £30 to £40, so they accept this and spread it over the period of the contract.

I'd like to see what the BT site would charge as a one-off cost if one with a Sky-provisioned line tried to switch to BT line rental, whether it would still be free or would charge a fee as it isn't a "return to donor".

Oliver.
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Fri 12-Oct-12 14:17:20
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I'm changing from full llu sky to bt no charge here.

Sky Unlimited
My Broadband Speed Test

Moving to BT Infinity nov1
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Oct-12 16:30:19
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:
I'm changing from full llu sky to bt no charge here.

Was the line a new one ordered from Sky, or did Sky take the line rental over from someone else?

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to