User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cmcg170
(newbie) Mon 15-Oct-12 12:41:41
Print Post

FTTC, newly installed

[link to this post]

I just had SKY fibre installed at home and wondered if there is any way of replacing the BT Openreach VDSL + SKY router with a single unit. If there is such a thing, already proven to work and how to go about the procedure?

Many thanks.

Chris.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 15-Oct-12 15:26:07
Print Post

Re: FTTC, newly installed

[re: cmcg170] [link to this post]

Why can't you just be happy with what you have? Your better off than most of us - quit whinging!

Oh and have a look over at Sky user for the answer smile
Standard User kitcat
(member) Mon 15-Oct-12 15:40:21
Print Post

Not without affecting your T&Cs

The Openreach Modem is the only 'approved' modem (either Huawei or ECI) at present. The Sky router is the only 'Approved' router for Sky service.

There are very few VDSL modem / routers available on the market someone on here has tried a couple. Don't know what their service is like with it.

ISPs often aligh their service with the supplied equipment so you may get a worse service if you change the Modem.

The Openreach modems are monitored over a seperate VLAN so that they can see how it is performing and upload fixes. If you change it this stops.

This is how they upgraded from the 8a profile to the 17 profile to get from 40Mb to 80Mb. No doubt they will do the same if they get permission to change to the 30 profile or to use vectoring in the future to give above 100Mb. ( all profiles on a Cab need to be the same to reduce interference).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iand
(experienced) Mon 15-Oct-12 20:19:50
Print Post

Look around the sky forum site as suggested. I am waiting for Christmas smile

IanD
Standard User tonym
(member) Tue 16-Oct-12 16:43:26
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
This is how they upgraded from the 8a profile to the 17 profile to get from 40Mb to 80Mb. No doubt they will do the same if they get permission to change to the 30 profile or to use vectoring in the future to give above 100Mb. ( all profiles on a Cab need to be the same to reduce interference).

Not so.
My Fritzbox 7390 was showing the New 17c profile months before the availability of the 80/20 speeds to BT customers in my area. It must have changed from 8a to 17c on a reboot.
I am staying on 40/10 and it continues to show it.

tonym

Edited by tonym (Tue 16-Oct-12 16:44:33)

Standard User simon194
(member) Wed 17-Oct-12 09:18:48
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

I'm using a BiPAC 8200N at the moment although I'm waiting for Billion to sort out the sync speed issues with ECI kit.

It syncs around 15 Mbps slower that the OR modem so I'm just using it as a replacement for the Sky router at the moment only because I need decent QoS functionality to stop my daughter hogging all the bandwidth.
Standard User iand
(experienced) Wed 17-Oct-12 18:12:34
Print Post

[re: tonym] [link to this post]

are you actually using a Fritz box with the SKY service ?

IanD
Standard User tonym
(member) Wed 17-Oct-12 18:23:35
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iand:
are you actually using a Fritz box with the SKY service ?

No, I did say in my post about BT customers. The point being made was about the Profiles 8a and 17c

I will be coming back to SKY for fibre when my contract is up in December, then the Fritz will be redundant unless AVM can come up with some firmware and I can access the SKY username/password.

tonym
Standard User iand
(experienced) Wed 17-Oct-12 18:29:45
Print Post

bumbs..

IanD
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Oct-12 18:55:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by tonym:
the Fritz will be redundant unless AVM can come up with some firmware and I can access the SKY username/password.

Send AVM this link as its only a custom option in the DHCP:
http://wiki.ph-mb.com/wiki/MER

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to