User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User barker04
(learned) Tue 16-Oct-12 21:05:54
Print Post

Sky LLU Adsl 2?

[link to this post]

The exchange I am on doesnt have Adsl 2 but has Sky LLU.

Can anyone confirm if I would get adsl 2 speeds and if so what the max upload is ?

I ask as according to some line checkers, talktalk who are also at the exchange can provide up to 1.2mb up.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 16-Oct-12 21:18:54
Print Post

Re: Sky LLU Adsl 2?

[re: barker04] [link to this post]

Sky LLU is their own hardware which offers ADSL2+ so yes ADSL2+ speeds would be available.

To give a fair idea what are the current stats from your ADSL router? Generally a more accurate guide than the telephone line checker databases

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User barker04
(learned) Tue 16-Oct-12 21:21:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Downstream: 7.5 Mbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

Noise margin (Down/Up): 6.9 dB / 26.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 35.5 dB / 22.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 19.9 dBm / 12.0 dBm

Edited by barker04 (Tue 16-Oct-12 21:24:33)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 16-Oct-12 21:26:18
Print Post

Any LLU invariably runs on ADSL2+ these days. Upstream is usually 1.1 - 1.2 Megs (some BTw based systems only give 888 K on Interleaved, but that's not Sky) unless you have a very fast line and can sacrifice some downstream to get an upstream of about 2.5 Meg with ADSL2+ Annex M. I don't know if Sky offers Annex M.

The fact that your exchange is not 21CN WBC enabled is irrelevant to LLU; it is only available on BTw based ISPs.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 16-Oct-12 21:28:36
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Very rare to see over 1Meg on Sky LLU ADSL2+ they tend to be conservative with upstream speeds

They do not do Annex M at all

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User barker04
(learned) Tue 16-Oct-12 21:29:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

in which case (despite p2p throttling) is talktalk likely to give me higher speeds as I can get the db reduced if my line is stable?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 16-Oct-12 21:29:58
Print Post

You'd get 11 - 12 Meg Down on ADSL2+, but Annex M is pointless for you.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 16-Oct-12 21:31:27
Print Post

10 to 13 Meg downstream connection speed
800 to 900 Kbps upstream

Sky start their systems at 4Meg and then slowly increase your speed over a few days to what they believe is the maximum, which is usually a little slower than the absolute maximum, but should be stable

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 16-Oct-12 22:07:19
Print Post

Usually can get the line manually tweaked down with Sky. With Sky its a 15 minute phone call and they do it there and then (I know have done it twice) and with TalkTalk you just use their Member Forums.

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Thu 18-Oct-12 15:26:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by barker04:
The exchange I am on doesnt have Adsl 2 but has Sky LLU.

Can anyone confirm if I would get adsl 2 speeds and if so what the max upload is ?

I ask as according to some line checkers, talktalk who are also at the exchange can provide up to 1.2mb up.

I had it for a long time ( 2 years) at 7mbps down 0.6 up. It was fine for me. and at £5 a month a bargain!

I've cut mine off for a year because I have a new mobile contract with tethering and the allowance is fine for me. It's als0 12mbps down and I get 5mbps up which is a vast improvement.

However - when my exchange is due to go onto FTTC ( by end of 2013) I will be back to Sky again for their 80/20 (assuming I can get it - I have 2 cabs within 50 meters of my house) because their service is fab. I just don't need a phone line right now so I've cut if ott ( and my 300GB a month is amply covered by my mobile contract)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to