User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jroadley
(newbie) Wed 17-Oct-12 11:32:58
Print Post

30% speed drop - help (stats posted)

[link to this post]

Help..

Moved over and the 10 days are up - synching about 30% slower that previous ADSL2+ supplier. Been told it can't be changed.

these are the line stats - sycnhed at 10.2mb and 768kb upload.

Line Att: 27.5db down and 16.3db up
Noise: 8.3db down and 15.3db up

Surely this should go faster.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Oct-12 13:18:04
Print Post

Re: 30% speed drop - help (stats posted)

[re: jroadley] [link to this post]

Should be going faster than that. Sky tends to cap lower but if polite but insistent and know what speed should be possible they seem to listen.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jroadley
(newbie) Wed 17-Oct-12 20:32:57
Print Post

Definitely not right - just done a SpeedTest and this is what I get... rubbish,

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Serpicoserpicoab
(newbie) Sat 27-Oct-12 13:28:14
Print Post

Your snr is high is there fluctuations on the downstream, ADSL signal works via conduction through copper, oxidised copper = poor results. When you have broadband plit signal at source, sky uses snr levels of 7db standard any higher bad profile or poor speed. Attenuation low speed should be 30% higher.
At present sky are supplying less than 20% of customers within 20% of ideal speed, other ISP's are fairing worse.

Openreach engineering policy in regard to resolutions close to properties is very poor. Quality of wiring poor and checks being done poor.

The speeds are going to slow averagely downwards on copper lines in the next year or two dramatically. This has been by design Openreach BT are forcing people to go on FTTC more money and profits. Government has turned blind eye, checking your cabling to your nte is it thin and low on copper yield?
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 27-Oct-12 14:10:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by jroadley:
Help..

Moved over and the 10 days are up - synching about 30% slower that previous ADSL2+ supplier. Been told it can't be changed.

these are the line stats - sycnhed at 10.2mb and 768kb upload.

Line Att: 27.5db down and 16.3db up
Noise: 8.3db down and 15.3db up

Surely this should go faster.
Even with the snr where it is you should be syncing around the 13-14mb mark, with a lower snr even higher , the upstream sync looks like they have capped it to that figure, that should be around 1100kbps (1.1mb) which is average for sky
There could be a fault with the router/filter or your wiring have you changed any thing associated with the line such as added a new phone or sky box without a filter?
failing that there has to be a fault if sky are not capping the speed or their DLM has screwed up

Standard User flippery
(member) Sat 27-Oct-12 14:31:34
Print Post

Try switching off router overnight and re connect in morning.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 27-Oct-12 15:46:15
Print Post

The clue is in the ISP, Sky is known for being slower on average than other providers due to the way their DLM operates.

In cases where the sync is slower than expected you can phone up and try get them to uncap the speed.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 27-Oct-12 15:48:15
Print Post

[re: Serpicoserpicoab] [link to this post]

There is a little sense somewhere amongst all the urban myths in that post.

Sky is slower due to their conservative DLM system which is NOTHING to do with Openreach.

Standard User jroadley
(newbie) Sat 27-Oct-12 16:46:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well, this story does have a happy ending.

After several calls to the tech guys - they were conistantly saying that was the fastest it could go. I even pushed one in to say it and reminded him the call maybe recorded. Still nothing.

So, e-mailed a complaint to the CEO mailbox (Yes I know it isn't him reading it) but 24 hours after that, I got a call and they basically changed the speed there and then all the way to 16mb - but that was flakey so it's currently the same as what I was geeting from Freeola on their ADSL2+ service.

No sign of fibre where I live, the SKY LLU service has only just become available... I just wanted a proper unlimited connection.

Latest results:

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 27-Oct-12 23:06:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by jroadley:
so it's currently the same as what I was geeting from Freeola on their ADSL2+ service.
I think all ADSL2+ ISPs should sync at the same speed.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
  Print Thread

Jump to