User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MikeL
(member) Fri 19-Oct-12 01:21:39
Print Post

Selling a router

[link to this post]

Hi

I have just ordered the new "hub" and will probably want to sell my old 2504N router when it comes. However I'm concerned that my username and password is inside the 2504N router? I never really understood how it works. Is it safe to sell a used sky router? and could anyone extract my connection details?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 19-Oct-12 01:54:50
Print Post

Re: Selling a router

[re: MikeL] [link to this post]

I believe the username and password are unique to the router so the new router will have a different username and password.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Fri 19-Oct-12 02:45:41
Print Post

I've sold a few of them on ebay without an issue really.

I'm not sure how it works however I believe they end up logging in via your login details. This being said Sky can easy enough see that it's not working from your house I'm pretty sure

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Fri 19-Oct-12 03:12:51
Print Post

Wanted to add really. I've sold 4 or 5 over the years no problems yet.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-Oct-12 08:51:34
Print Post

Your username and password (as far as I understand it) is in the router config sent by the exchange.

Even if they have your details they can't connect if you are. I am not sure if that's still the case but when I worked in the industry RADIUS wouldn't allow it
Standard User MikeL
(member) Fri 19-Oct-12 11:59:41
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

I bought the router I'm using now off ebay (don't think it had been used) was suprised it worked straight away. I just asked as I know some people use a tool to extract their username and password from the router so they can use their own router. I guess it doesn't store the username and password in the router itself? only when its connected to your telephone line you can extract the username and password?

Anyway I'm sure sky tie the username and password to your telephone address? Thanks for the replies, going by them I think its safe enough to sell it!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Oct-12 12:29:48
Print Post

I don't think specific username and passwords are assigned to the line, Sky physically knows which address is linked to which port on its hardware and that is how the association for 'abuse' type enquiries would be handled.

The issue of selling an old router, while someone else is using the username/password is an interesting one.

The locking of hardware, for those with some knowledge is easy enough to get around, and selling your genuine router is a recipe for problems if you have a fault, as Sky may not progress it unless they can see their actual router and access it via TR-069

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MikeL
(member) Fri 19-Oct-12 14:12:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

As I'm buying their hub from their website I'm guessing that will now be my genuine router? I remember when I went from a sagem 2504 to the newer sagem 2504N I bought off ebay, I rang them up about disconnects and they said it was connected for 3 weeks when it wasn't. Found out they were looking at the line stats of the old sagem 2504 router (which hadn't even been connected for weeks), so I had to read out the MAC address of the new 2504N router. I'm guessing they make a note of the MAC address of the new hub they will send out and tie it to my account?

I'm not sure what I'm really going on about lol
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Fri 19-Oct-12 14:17:57
Print Post

They didnt seem to do that when I was with SKY.

The username and password stored in the router appeared to be generated from the MAC address but there was no sign of them knowing the MAC address of the router they had sent.

Of course, they have every opportunity of recording the MAC address of the router used and the user name and password used at login time if they so wish but if so it does not seem to cause any issues.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-Oct-12 21:07:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
I don't think specific username and passwords are assigned to the line, Sky physically knows which address is linked to which port on its hardware and that is how the association for 'abuse' type enquiries would be handled.

I've had that confirmed - they don't care which Sky router you use on which line, just that you use a Sky one.
The issue of selling an old router, while someone else is using the username/password is an interesting one.

Yes that could be an issue! If you're using the username/password from a Sky router in a third party one, the Sky router should be kept safe somewhere not in use.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to