User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User leeandchantal
(newbie) Fri 19-Oct-12 16:35:40
Print Post

Speeds not what they used to be

[link to this post]

I have had sky LLU for as long as i can remember, the day it first became available in my area. I originally got 16Mbps and was very stable, then for some reason it dropped to 12Mbps then recently i noticed it had dropped to 4Mbps, so i eamiled them and complained that it wasn't right i believed it should have been higher, they then decided to put it back up to 10Mbps. My questions are :

1) for my line stats is this right ?
2) I believe the exchange is congested, is this possibly why my speed are so slow?

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 7392 7647 0 0 0 0:20:43
LAN 21606 21949 0 0 1375 0:51:03
WLAN 10890 6552 0 1504 137 0:50:36
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 10236 kbps 605 kbps
Line Attenuation 32.5 db 17.7 db
Noise Margin 6.0 db 16.9 d
Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Fri 19-Oct-12 16:41:20
Print Post

Re: Speeds not what they used to be

[re: leeandchantal] [link to this post]

Could be congestion but equaly could just be a higher take up of Broadband on your cabinet. More users equals more noise equals lower speeds.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 19-Oct-12 16:48:44
Print Post

Your line is capable of 13/14 Megs, unfortunately your noise margin is on the limit. This indicates a noisy line and because you have problems when it rains, it's likely you have a line fault. You may need an Openreach engineer to fix your line.

Do you have a noisy phone?

Is your sky box filtered?

Try the router in the test socket behind the master to see if that improves your stats.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User leeandchantal
(learned) Fri 19-Oct-12 16:56:03
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Your line is capable of 13/14 Megs, unfortunately your noise margin is on the limit. This indicates a noisy line and because you have problems when it rains, it's likely you have a line fault. You may need an Openreach engineer to fix your line.

Do you have a noisy phone?

Is your sky box filtered?

Try the router in the test socket behind the master to see if that improves your stats.

We don't have a phone plugged in, but on the few occasions i might, the line is very noisy, whistling hissing noises. Our SKY boxes aren't connected to any landlines. The only socket i use is the master socket, which has my modem line connected to it.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 19-Oct-12 17:00:03
Print Post

You really need to try the test socket to ensure you get phone noise to avoid any possibility of being charged. But you should report the noisy phone and get it fixed. This should fix your broadband.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Oct-12 18:06:49
Print Post

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

Back into mis information mode are we?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Oct-12 18:09:29
Print Post

If Sky were remotely able to get you from 4 Meg to 10 Meg then the suggestion is that it is there line capping that is the issue and not actual line performance per se.

The clue is the way the upstream is being held so far back. The speed caps from Sky along with the power back off keep the noise margins down, so it can look to be a poor line.

Congestion on the backhaul should not affect the line connection speed, and crosstalk should NOT affect ADSL to anywhere near this extent, also you cannot remotely reset crosstalk, so the 'decided to put it back up' really does highlight that Sky are limiting your speed.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 19-Oct-12 18:11:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I don't think this is correct. The noise margin is too low.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Oct-12 18:13:13
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Sky is known to back off the power when it caps a line speed, and generally noise would not result in the upstream being so low and leave lots of spare margin.

Power back off makes the SNR look low for the attenuation and sync speed.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 19-Oct-12 18:35:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The OP has said he has audible noise on the line and problems when it rains. Sounds more like a line fault than a Sky fault tbh.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to