User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Nov-12 06:15:36
Print Post

Sky Hub

[link to this post]

Well I paid £39 for the Sky Hub.

Overall WiFi range was the same as the previous Sagem router. Perhaps a little better.

HOWEVER, the router kept making a mess of the WiFi. My macbook pro would suddenly switch to transmit rate 1Mbps or 5Mbps despite me having full signal. It did this on all WiFi channels. I then realised other devices were having issues too. It basically made the internet unusable for a good 30 seconds, after which the Wifi would just pick up back to 144Mbps.

It's caused me headaches with me blaming my bluetooth keyboard & mouse, my airplay stereo etc. Eventually just gave up on it all together and everythings swimmingly great again.

It would make my macbook do what occurs in this video, where the wifi is full but the page just stalls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHFUCkf8gCU

Back to the Sagem and no issues at all on anything. I'm wondering if my device was just faulty or that these have a few issues. I can't say I was impressed.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 10-Nov-12 06:17:42)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Nov-12 09:58:16
Print Post

Re: Sky Hub

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Posted via Mac Book Air and Sky Hub.

Still using the review one here smile

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Nov-12 10:00:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Fair enough. Seems fine in the same room but once I go a little away problems occur.
Basically once RSSI goes -75 or below the issues occur.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Mon 12-Nov-12 08:24:36
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

FWIW after reading a number of reviews it seems the Hub may only be marginally better if that for wi fi compared to the Sagem, and that those with this router should perhaps stick with it if they have no issues.

Not got either, still using the original Netgear and not that impressed with the new hub especially if Sky do want to charge £69 for it in the New Year....I suggest they would be making oodles of profit for what is after all a fairly basic router and at £39 no bargain either.

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

don@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Nov-12 10:31:42
Print Post

[re: Sadoldman] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/77-sk...

You have obviously read it

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Danh_Gbwe
(newbie) Mon 12-Nov-12 12:09:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by Sadoldman:
Not got either, still using the original Netgear and not that impressed with the new hub especially if Sky do want to charge £69 for it in the New Year....I suggest they would be making oodles of profit for what is after all a fairly basic router and at £39 no bargain either.

An expensive fancy UI too. Must admit though I love the new look of the UI.

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

Nice.

So the conclusion is if you have the Sagem 2504n, save yourself £39 and don't upgrade. If you have an older different model of Sky router then the upgrade might be worthwhile.

I've never used the WiFi in the 2504n as I used the 2504n only as the modem. External WiFi hub and another hub for the heavy duty stuff so there's no strain on the 2504n itself.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Nov-12 14:02:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by Sadoldman:
if Sky do want to charge £69 for it in the New Year....I suggest they would be making oodles of profit

Especially if, as I suspect, Sky have dropped their traditional manufacturing partners (Sagemcom, Netgear, D-Link) in favour of knocking them out under their own name via a Chinese OEM.

Oliver.
Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Mon 12-Nov-12 14:18:14
Print Post

Yep, but not only you arrived at the same conclusions as regards to the wireless... I also wanted to put the boot in regarding the next year price of this so called hub, £39 is reasonable in my eyes considering Sky insist their equipment is used...£69 is OTT.

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

don@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Nov-12 14:42:14
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

The web interface actually reminds me of a Netgear firmware at its core on the SR101

perhaps I should rip its case open

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Nov-12 14:51:55
Print Post

The web interface actually reminds me of a Netgear firmware at its core on the SR101

Not a good indicator, because Sky standardised the Netgear-esque gui on all their routers following the DG934G, including the D-Link and Sagemcom models.

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to