User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User slickric21
(newbie) Fri 23-Nov-12 15:28:20
Print Post

Fibre install BTO no show + ADSL Line changed for worse

[link to this post]

Oh what a day.

I just need to share this farce with somebody and hopefully I may get some inspiration about what to do next.

I've been on Sky LLU for the past 3 years (and before that UKO)
My line has DLM suspended and capped at 17.5mb down (sync 15.5-17.5 depending on what modem i used), Max delays were set at 8ms, giving me a ping to UK of ~20ms.
Line attenuation is 29-31 depending on modem used. Snr down of 7.
Its been like this for years - rock solid.

So my exchanged was Fibre enabled in September and I promptly ordered Fibre Pro with Sky.
Installation date 23/11/12 8am-1pm.

Several confirmation texts and emails even a text last night to say don't forget your appointment 2mrw etc etc..... things looked good......untill today.

At 1:10pm the BTO rang and said he wasn't coming as BT had run out of modems. I said how could that happen ? Surely you knew how many installs you were doing today and set off with the correct amount of stuff ????
He explained losing his rag that he'd been in Lowestoft all morning doing installs, then drove over to Norwich to do me. He had to collect the modem from the Norwich depot......but the'yd ran out.
I said i'd taken a day off work today unpaid and lost £150 due to this, at which point he said look i'm not interested and take it up with BT. I asked for his name and he hung up.

So, I get on the phone to Sky and i'm on hold for 20-30 mins when my phone cuts off, I check my internet, that's down aswell.

5 mins later they come back on and i'm horrified to see my usual sync of 15.5mb (with my Draytek Vigor 120) is now 10mb, and my pings trebled from ~20-~70ms. Attenuation is still 30,Snr is still 7. Upload dropped from 1.1mb to 0.7mb.
IP address is in range of 2.xx not 90.xx like used to be.

Phone Sky back, regardng the Fibre, they apoloigse and say I can have a revisit on 19th Dec.
But the real fun and games start now.............

I explain about the speed drop and i'm shocked for the agent to explain to me that I had migrated from BT's network to Skys network today... [censored] ?
I slowly and carefully explained i'd been on Sky LLU for last 3 years and before that UKO for that matter.

The agent insisted that i'd not been on Skys network and that and had migrated in today.

So no Fibre, drop in ADSL speeds by a third, pings trebled, upload dropped by a quarter.

ALL IN ALL A DISASTER frown

What could have happened ???

The only thing i can think is that I opted out of the SVBN a few years ago and today ive been put on it in prep for the fibre ?

What can/should I do guys gals ???? I'm so angry it's untrue.
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Fri 23-Nov-12 15:42:50
Print Post

Re: Fibre install BTO no show + ADSL Line changed for worse

[re: slickric21] [link to this post]

I would stop getting in a state about any of this, after all why worry about ADSL now as you will soon be going over to FTTC. It is very unfortunate that Openreach should have cocked this up, but Dec 19th is not too long away.

In the mean time have a look on e-bay and buy yourself an Openreach VDSL modem, a spare is always handy and if they run out again you will be covered.

I take it the Sky router has arrived.
Standard User tthom
(regular) Fri 23-Nov-12 15:52:33
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

He has every right to taking a day off work this near to Xmas for what nothing... I know how you feel open Rachel missed am appointment with me you get really cheesed off

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 23-Nov-12 16:16:23
Print Post

My line dropped out a week before install of Fibre as they put me on the Sky line and this left me without internet from my current ISP, fortunately I had a phone with unlimited internet and not a bad speed so used that for the week, although it was great from gaming. Iím from Lowestoft, but my install was a few weeks ago, so I didnít use your modem on my install wink

I'd be miffed off too though! Especially when you get geared up for the install and then the disappointment. frown fortunately I live just round the corner so put a note on my door for the install engineer to call me when he arrived, which he did.

Edited by benbird7 (Fri 23-Nov-12 16:17:40)

Standard User slickric21
(learned) Fri 23-Nov-12 16:55:39
Print Post

[re: benbird7] [link to this post]

Yeah CST just confirmed i'd been moved onto SVBN.
Looks like it doesn't like my Vigor 120 too much.

They managed to tweak the line to 14/1.1mb with Delays of 8ms (although my pings remain higher than they used to be by about an extra 10ms)

Just more annoyed with the loss of a days earnings as i'd taken unpaid leave today.
Hope it doesn't happen on the 19th again.

Sky will lodge a complaint against the BTO engineer, but as far as them compensating me for anything...nada.

Ah well, calming down abit now, my fibre cabinet has been in since April so another 3 weeks of waiting wont kill me i suppose !!!!!!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Nov-12 17:42:05
Print Post

Presume phone line rental is with Sky?

So probably took the opportunity to move your from WLR+SMPF to MPF, where the phone and BB is via their hardware. Different DSLAM so explains change in performance.

Excuse from Openreach does such, but if sales are going up they are probably getting more and more pressed to meet deadlines .

Probably no compensation, but an apology might help a little bit.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Nov-12 18:10:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by slickric21:
Looks like it doesn't like my Vigor 120 too much.

Highly possible.

You should have received your Sky router by now as you would have had to plug it into the Openreach modem. You should try connecting this and see if you get better speeds.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 23-Nov-12 18:30:57
Print Post

Are you going onto 40/10 for £20? I'm on that and it works really well. More than enough speed for what I need anyway.

Standard User slickric21
(learned) Fri 23-Nov-12 18:51:28
Print Post

@ MrSaffron - yeah line rental with Sky, I believe now that SVBN is a prerequisite for Fibre so thats why they moved me.

Regarding the SVBN iir its Broadcom ?

Ive got quite a collection of routers here...
Sky DG834GT with DGteam (Broadcom ?)
Sky Sagem 2504n v6 (Broadcom)
Sky Hub (chipset ???)
Billion 7204nx (Conexant/Solos)
Draytek Vigor 120 (Infineon) - used with Netgear 3800 running DDWRT - using currently.

I was going to set up the DG834GT for the next month and have a tweak of the snr but didnt consider the new Sky hub if i'm honest,may have a play with that aswell.

@ BenBird7 and i'm going for the Fibre Pro smile live approx 15 mtrs from cabinet, they forecast i'll get 76mb so i thought why not.
Standard User leexgx
(member) Sat 24-Nov-12 03:29:43
Print Post

you most likely get the max 80mb if your close to the cab, they are not allowed to say any thing higher then 76mb, and they norm now way underestimate it to keep punters happy on longer lines

and due to the Upto speed rubbish on ADSL lines as the avg was more like 5mb or lower on ADSL 24mb was an dream smile (speed checkers still overestimate on ADSL)

how do you get around Sky with the username and password they tend to Flat out refuse to give unless you threaten them to leave as one of my customers did (never knew you could get the username/password out of sky before that)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to