User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ogothorpe
(regular) Thu 29-Nov-12 16:22:29
Print Post

Need some help for a friend.

[link to this post]

Recently myself and my friend have been having some connection issues with COD Black Ops 2 on the Xbox 360. Now I have personally resolved these myself by simply setting my router to always assign the same IP address for my Xbox360 and I have also assigned this IP address to be run in DMZ mode.

Now Im with O2 and this process was very simple on my router interface by simply selecting home network and selecting my Xbox and then ticked the box where it said "Always use the same address" To place this in DMZ mode I just simply clicked on the box that said "Assign the DMZ to a local network device" then I simply entered the IP address that my Xbox uses and clicked apply.

The Router my friend has is a Sagem but I have no idea what model/firmware. I do know he only joined Sky around 6 months ago if this helps.

What I need to know is how to do the above on the Sagem because I have no experience of these routers. My friend has no idea about networking and I don't think he even knows how to log into his router! So could someone please give me a simple guide which I can then pass onto my friend.

We would both be grateful for your help.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Nov-12 20:00:03
Print Post

Re: Need some help for a friend.

[re: Ogothorpe] [link to this post]

The sagem 2504n (looks like a mini Sky+ box) has no need for port forwarding with COD Black Ops (not bought 2). XBox should work nicely with the UPnP that is turned on in the sagem by default.

There was lots of COD BO2 issues on the PS3, which were down to the gaming service, and this may be the case on xbox too.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ogothorpe
(regular) Fri 30-Nov-12 12:46:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for replying although my friend still needs help.

Firstly my friend has 2 xbox 360 consoles connected to his router and one of those always has a moderate NAT. So running these through DMZ would rectify this. The other problem which we are all encountering is how BO2 has been coded. Basically on MW3, BO2 they have attempted to assist those with a slower connection so those who have low latency do not have an advantage. The problem is the reverse has happened and those with a good connection are struggling. The COD forums are rife on this subject and its called "Lag compensation".

Since I put my 360 in DMZ mode I seem to be fairing much better on BO2 and the games are more consistent. Im not suffering from being shot and then the person appears and how the killcam differs to what I see from my perspective anymore.

So really I just need to know how to do what I personally did on a Sagem router because I have no idea about this routers interface.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Nov-12 13:22:45
Print Post

[re: Ogothorpe] [link to this post]

Aha - two consoles on one connection - that makes things very different. UPnP should manage, but a good chance CoD engine is not up to the task, trick to checking that is if one console can do BO2 fine, and the other be playing some other non-COD game online at the same time.

On the sagem - will fire it up

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Nov-12 14:41:48
Print Post

DMZ Guide

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/sagem/sagem-dmz.html

Complete with pictures, shows how to reserve the IP address and figure out which device is the XBox, and where the DMZ option is.

Standard User Ogothorpe
(regular) Fri 30-Nov-12 18:02:10
Print Post

Re: DMZ Guide

Thats absolutely perfect, much appreciated.
  Print Thread

Jump to