User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User robbster
(member) Sat 01-Dec-12 23:44:04
Print Post

Sky fibre hub and user/password question

[link to this post]

Hi guys

I had sky fibre installed the other week and have the new sky hub. From what I can gather it's not possible as yet to get the username and password from the router and would like to use a different one. Mainly as I would like a full gigabit network.

I was on sky unlimited adsl before and have the sagam f@st router sitting in the spare bedroom. Will the username and password be the same for the fibre connection as it was for the adsl? Could I just extract the details off of that and put them in to an online calculator.

Cheers

Rob
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 02-Dec-12 00:26:11
Print Post

Re: Sky fibre hub and user/password question

[re: robbster] [link to this post]

Try it and see, or just buy a gigabit switch and run the ethernet LAN from that

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User robbster
(member) Sun 02-Dec-12 00:40:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks MrSaffron

I've already got a gigabyte switch that I plug everything in to. I'm just wondering if the 10/100 ports on the sky hub bottleneck the speed. It shouldn't do with imy downloads maxing out at 80Mb but I know you never get the full 100Mb from 10/100 ports.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 02-Dec-12 11:42:27
Print Post

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/77-sk...

Measures 93 Mbps over the hubs LAN switch

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Dec-12 12:05:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by robbster:
From what I can gather it's not possible as yet to get the username and password from the router and would like to use a different one.

The only way is to sniff the packets from the Sky Hub to the openreach modem. There is a PDF guide floating around on skyuser but you need to be a bit of an IT tech. smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User slickric21
(learned) Mon 03-Dec-12 13:22:15
Print Post

its actually very very easy to get it, I got mine from my hub the other week.

Took 5 mins max.

Guide here http://thorn.flying-beast.net/public.php?service=fil...

Edited by slickric21 (Mon 03-Dec-12 13:22:43)

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Dec-12 13:35:20
Print Post

You shouldn't see any performance degradation with the sky hub on the ethernet. It can easily handle 90+ Mbps

The wifi signal is also very strong compared to many routers - even expensive ones such as a WNDR3700.

I personally would stick with it however if you do home network transfers etc than gigabit might be a good idea! Otherwise leave it me thinks.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Dec-12 13:52:11
Print Post

[re: slickric21] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by slickric21:
its actually very very easy to get it, I got mine from my hub the other week.

That was the guide I was thinking of smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User robbster
(member) Mon 03-Dec-12 14:32:29
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply's smile

I already have a gigabit switch and have all my devices attached to there. So I'm basically only using the hub for the internet. If the hub is okay up to 90Mb then it should be fine. My speed tests only average 75Mb. I do a lot of streaming to my media player from my main PC and was worried about bottlenecking if I was downloading at the same time. I guess this shouldn't be a problem as my PC and media player are connected gigabit.

The router I was interested in was a tp-link one. Not the greatest make but you can put on the DD-WRT firmware which I hear is good.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Dec-12 16:06:06
Print Post

DDWRT is good if you want to do lots of configuration. As for stability it's a little hit and miss.

My first experience was rock solid and absolutely amazing. It never crashed or anything.

My second experience was on dual band & I find 5ghz performance was always a little flaky. Sometimes not connecting at all. 2.4 ghz wise it's fab.

Stock firmware on my netgear wndr3700 gave better wireless performance by a long long shot vs DDWRT which was much worse. Even after 'tweaking' and setting the tx power to scary high levels.

It's all dependant on the router. On a d link DDWRT was much better.

75Mbps seems about right - in fact it's very good. You sync at 79999 but there's overheads etc so you're spot on there.

If your current setup works well & is very stable why mess? I messed recently and wasted a tonne of money. I got the WNDR3700 for around £100 and found it's performance no better than the sky router which was free. In fact I switched back, sold the netgear and accepted my losses.

I regret doing it as my setup before was fine. If we didn't get the 'urge' to 'upgrade' (when things are actually fine) we would all save a tonne of money! Back to my old setup now and v.happy.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 03-Dec-12 16:07:44)

Print Thread

Jump to