User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User johnnny
(regular) Sun 23-Dec-12 13:16:26
Print Post

Sky broadband contention issues? How to get them to fix it?

[link to this post]

Sky broadband is running astonishing slow for the household during evenings/Sunday mornings (like now -- this site took 20 seconds to appear). Same on all computers -- a Mac, XP machine, iPad, iPhone...

It's ADSL. Unless I'm mistaken (please say if I am) this points to a contention issue. What's the best route to get Sky to do something about this? i.e. any success stories?

Never had it before with BT. Kicking myself for switching to Sky. During slow periods the line measures in a speed test at 1.5Mbits but I guess this is burst speeds. It feels more like 256Kbits, or even slower. The modem reports a 7Mbit connection.

Outside of busy periods it flies like the wind -- 600 Kilobyte download speeds easily at 3pm on a Tuesday, for example.

I REALLY REALLY don't want to phone them and wade through lower tier tech support (forcing me to check wireless connections, switch microfilters etc) -- to be honest, it's hard to spare the time or the patience. Those calls just destroy my soul.

ps. I reported a problem here a few weeks ago re: dropped connections. That's now fixed. The router's currently reporting several thousand hours of connection uptime.
Standard User johnnny
(regular) Sun 23-Dec-12 13:18:06
Print Post

Re: Sky broadband contention issues? How to get them to fix

[re: johnnny] [link to this post]

Thinking of the nature of this problem, it's not like pages draw slowly. There's a delay of 10-20 seconds, then the page appears. I wonder if this might indicate a DNS issue?

I'll try using Google/OpenDNS and see if the problem is eradicated.
Standard User _Resonance_
(regular) Mon 24-Dec-12 11:56:17
Print Post

Are you on the Sky connect service or Sky unlimited? If it's the former it's known to be bad.

Sky Fibre Unlimited

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User johnnny
(regular) Mon 24-Dec-12 13:42:08
Print Post

[re: _Resonance_] [link to this post]

It's Sky Unlimited. We have our phone service with them too.

I spoke to their online help yesterday and they once again said it was an "unstable line", which is what they said last time (see my forum posting a bit further down). Does anybody know why it's suddenly unstable after we had two years of perfect BT service?

It's now been escalated to the engineers. Hopefully this time they'll do a better job of fixing it.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 24-Dec-12 14:00:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by johnnny:
Does anybody know why it's suddenly unstable after we had two years of perfect BT service?
The line itself may have changed in character - water ingress, corrosion, damage etc - but if you're on their Unlimited LLU service then you are now connected to Sky/Easynet kit in the exchange which may behave differently to the BT kit.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Dec-12 14:10:45
Print Post

Can you access your line stats from your router, and post them here?
Also if you can download and run this free tool
win MTR and see if this slow page loading issue is packet loss or not, are you able to download & upload files ok, ?

Standard User simon194
(committed) Mon 24-Dec-12 21:15:58
Print Post

Is your exchange fibre enabled?

We had a similar problem in Hastings with slow download speeds in the evenings and at weekends which was down to a high take up of Sky's fibre service and inadequate backhaul capacity from the exchange.

It was about 3 months before it was fixed. At it's worse my 70 Mbit fibre connection was downloading at around 300-500 Kbps with pings around 800ms or more.
Standard User babis3g
(newbie) Tue 25-Dec-12 04:26:06
Print Post

I think is a general adsl issue with many lines..i have seen many complaining about it lately.
It also including me.
Have my adsl line with TT 8 months and last weeks i can see packet loss from thinkbroadband monitor that have set up.
If you can set one for few days to check if you have any red spikes(packet loss).
If you have i dont think is sky issue but call me silly ...something is going on lately
Standard User Alex1M6
(regular) Thu 27-Dec-12 06:56:49
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

They still haven't fixed their back-haul at my exchange and its been almost a year!
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Dec-12 08:08:09
Print Post

[re: Alex1M6] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Alex1M6:
They still haven't fixed their back-haul at my exchange and its been almost a year!

The contention issues have been removed from Sky's service status pages. Are you on LLU? Have you contacted them recently about it?

Oliver.
  Print Thread

Jump to