User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chubsta
(member) Sun 06-Jan-13 21:40:34
Print Post

My Sky fibre install tale...

[link to this post]

Booked it for 3rd January as the exchange went live on the 1st, router turned up on the 31st December.

Engineer turned up at 9am having been given a 8am to 1pm time slot, got the BT modem out, asked where i wanted it, plugged it in, plugged it into the Sky router, checked on my Mac and had gone from 3meg to 59meg down, 17.5 up...

All done in a couple of minutes, made the guy a cup of tea and had a chat before he went to his next job.

Doesn't happen often but its nice when things go smoothly laugh
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Jan-13 13:01:20
Print Post

Re: My Sky fibre install tale...

[re: chubsta] [link to this post]

Nice to hear a good tale for once.

Keep us informed about speeds over the next month or so.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User akawtu
(regular) Mon 07-Jan-13 16:45:37
Print Post

Oh my that must be so sweet! An amazing increase in speed.

Unfortunately I won't be seeing fibre for a while even though my exchange has it available. I've read BT don't have any intention of upgrading my post code area but I don't mind as I realise these things take time.

I have 7.7 Meg Unlimited WBC just now (should be 11 Meg but high noise margin currently) but 59 Meg!!! HAHA that would be incredible. laugh

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User chubsta
(member) Tue 08-Jan-13 16:06:01
Print Post

[re: akawtu] [link to this post]

Currently downloading a large file at 9300KB/s - i am still in awe of all this lovely speed and actually enjoy watching stuff download in minutes - I have gone from not even being able able to watch a movie trailer on my Apple TV without it buffering for ages, to watching a full HD film with no buffering - lovely!
Standard User _Resonance_
(regular) Tue 08-Jan-13 19:00:19
Print Post

My experience was similar when upgrading to fibre. All went smoothly and didn't take long. Saying that it was a pretty straightforward install, nothing needed moving or anything.

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Standard User Deva
(regular) Wed 09-Jan-13 12:00:11
Print Post

I hope my install goes that smooth.

Mines due to be done on 25th Jan, although nothing has been comfirmed yet.

My estimated speed is 31.6meg down and i think 6meg up.

Currently with O2 and getting 7meg down 1meg up.

The speed increase will be very nice, looking forward to it.

o2
Standard User chubsta
(member) Thu 10-Jan-13 14:06:38
Print Post

[re: Deva] [link to this post]

Speed has varied a little over the past week, i guess as it goes through some sort of bedding in period - cant work out how to show the results from the speedtest website but the speeds vary between 55 and 66Mb/s down, and pretty stable at 17Mb/s up - very happy so far...
Standard User chubsta
(member) Fri 11-Jan-13 10:36:25
Print Post

Im starting to doubt the speedtest results to be honest as they are lower than what i am seeing on my computer..

at the moment i am downloading a number of large files at a consistent 9200KB/s - the downloading program is reporting that, and my network monitor program is also showing a speed of 9.23MB/s - this equates to around 73 Mbits. Am i right with these figures? If so then the speed of the connection is very good!
Standard User Moochy
(newbie) Sun 13-Jan-13 20:58:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by chubsta:
All done in a couple of minutes, made the guy a cup of tea and had a chat before he went to his next job.

Doesn't happen often but its nice when things go smoothly laugh

Did he install a new master socket faceplate? if not the install wasn't done right. My engineer came out Friday and was out of the house within 10 minutes, I phoned the Sky Fibre Team to query it and they were astonished and appalled by the installation, Openreach are coming out tomorrow to do it properly.
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Sun 13-Jan-13 22:07:08
Print Post

[re: Moochy] [link to this post]

It only takes a few minutes to install the new filtered faceplate and run the tests.

What did your engineer do?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to