User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User soggs
(learned) Wed 09-Jan-13 09:35:52
Print Post

Sky broadband house move

[link to this post]

I'm going to be moving home in a few weeks time and want to take Sky broadband at my new property.

I have checked and it is available at my new place, but I'm also moving my number as well and wondered if it's just going to be a simple process. Will I need to do the number transfer first, then cancel the broadband and reapply once the line is active at the new property, or can it all be done in one go?

Currently my line rental is with BT and I have Sky Talk and Broadband, not sure if they'll let me do the move without having the line through Sky too.

Any advice very much appreciated.
Standard User simon194
(committed) Wed 09-Jan-13 11:05:02
Print Post

Re: Sky broadband house move

[re: soggs] [link to this post]

I can't give any advise about moving with Sky because whenever I've moved there hasn't been an active phone line in the new property. I think you will have to go with Sky for the line rental as it's now a requirement for Sky's broadband service.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Jan-13 11:40:45
Print Post

Sky will want to do it as a full LLU solution at new home, the phone number should be moveable

When you say line rental with BT, do you mean the Sky Talk is just CPS service?

This may make things a little more complex, as you would need to move a BT Line to the new property first for the number porting to work, and then Sky would want to take it over subsequently, and minimum contract term with Sky may be an issue.

The better solution would have been to have moved line rental to Sky a couple of months in advance of the move.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Jan-13 12:21:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The better solution would have been to have moved line rental to Sky a couple of months in advance of the move.

For some reason, Sky don't support keeping the same telephone number when moving house on the same exchange.

Oliver.
Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Jan-13 12:29:29
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I found that last year, moved 3 times within the area, new number each time... Was told couldn't be avoided but now why...

--
Mart.
Sky Unlimited
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Jan-13 12:50:46
Print Post

[re: madmart] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by madmart:
I found that last year, moved 3 times within the area, new number each time... Was told couldn't be avoided but now why...

Probably simply because they haven't programmed their systems to handle house move number porting on SVBN. One up for BT Wholesale.

Oliver.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Jan-13 13:51:11
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Thats a new fact to add to the brain today then.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User soggs
(learned) Wed 09-Jan-13 14:47:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Sky will want to do it as a full LLU solution at new home, the phone number should be moveable

When you say line rental with BT, do you mean the Sky Talk is just CPS service?

This may make things a little more complex, as you would need to move a BT Line to the new property first for the number porting to work, and then Sky would want to take it over subsequently, and minimum contract term with Sky may be an issue.

Yes the line is with BT and the calls through Sky. I took this option when I took out broadband with them a couple of years ago. I left the line rental with BT as this would make it easier if I decided to switch provider.

I have called Sky about the move today and from what they told me it should be straightforward. I move the line through BT, the day after it is activated I call Sky and they do a termination at the old property and reactivate at the new. No mention of line rental being moved to them.

I am going to call and check though as I'd be very surprised if they will let me keep the line with BT and I don't know what problems this will cause me if I move the number beforehand as I'm sure that BT will put me on a minimum term contract when it's moved.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Jan-13 15:13:29
Print Post

Technically they can do what they've said, and as an old customer they may be a bit more flexible to retain custom

Standard User Discus
(experienced) Wed 09-Jan-13 19:58:16
Print Post

When I moved home, I asked if I had to have line rental with Sky. They said that as a customer on an older product where line rental wasn't a requirement, they would provide the broadband on a BT line.

http://www.holidayalmeria.co.uk - Holiday apartment website
http://www.marksfish.me.uk - Personal fishkeeping website
  Print Thread

Jump to