User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fender1105
(newbie) Mon 14-Jan-13 13:16:14
Print Post

Sky Fibre Gone Down

[link to this post]

at about 12:45 today my bb went down not internet on the computer ipad phone or sky anytime. I reset the Sky Hub and on the router page it still had the IP address and said it was connected but no internet phoneed sky fibre team and as i was on hold i reset the bt op modem and then it all came but online.

as i was checking it was working sky picked up the phone and i told them what had happened and ask if there was any problems at there end and they said no but they did not seem happy that i had reset the hub and modem has anyone else came across this problem and it is snowing
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 14-Jan-13 13:39:42
Print Post

Re: Sky Fibre Gone Down

[re: fender1105] [link to this post]

Had problems from last night onwards
Standard User fender1105
(newbie) Mon 14-Jan-13 14:54:34
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I am thinking it could be that the cables in the green cab are freezing causing the problem but dont no would be interested to no if anyone else is having this problem or is it just sky fibre

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Jan-13 15:19:43
Print Post

Copper cables like the cold usually
The heat from the electronics in the FTTC cab will keep that happy in very cold weather.

if the openreach modem showed a DSL connection still then probably just a stalled session, and a restart can fix these.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eckiedoo
(regular) Mon 14-Jan-13 16:16:32
Print Post

I doubt very much if freezing of the JOINTS (rather than cables) in the cabinet is the cause, as it has not been particularly cold; but keep in mind that water does expand about 10% on freezing, so could disturb joints and that frozen water is crystalline; and most crystals are poor conductors.

I have encountered something like this many years back with the phone system at work.

There had been a really long, very hard frost, going on for weeks and with temperatures well below freezing, even around mid-day.

The phone system started to give problems, tracked down to a poor earth connection outside the building, on an exposed position to the north, just outside the PBX location.

The Works Engineer was contemplating this with some perplexity when I happened to be passing. He explained the situation.

As a temporary solution, I suggested that a few buckets of hot water might provide some relief.

This prove to be the case, working until the earth rod was moved to a more protected situation.

-------------------------------

Could it be corroding joints?

Again many years back, noise on my domestic line was tracked down to a small jointing box at footpath level, on the circuitous way back to the cabinet. (The cabinet is about 30 yards in a direct line; but the cable run via this jointing box, is about 150 yards!)

The GPO/BT engineer remade the "wrapped joints" on my line, curing the problem. He had already done so in the cabinet, to no avail.

The jointing box was a metal casting, about 1 foot (30 cms) high, 2 inches (5 cms) wide, and front to back, with, I think, GPO TELEPHONES cast in relief vertically on the main face.

I have seen similar boxes used in local electricity supply lines, with the appropriate name/initials on that face.
Standard User fender1105
(newbie) Mon 14-Jan-13 16:53:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thanks thats interesting to no if it was a train they would of all stopped running because of the weather lol I was trying to post at about 3pm when it went down again for only a min or 2 phoned sky fibre team and they are getting bt op to reconfig because they are saying it is not config right but had this service from 30th march last year so dont no if they have been messing with the config because it been fine up on till now
Standard User fender1105
(newbie) Mon 14-Jan-13 17:57:46
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

on hold again they say my line can run up to 74mb but slowed my line down to 35mb because i have to keep resetting my op modem dont understand why but sky are now sending bt op out because it might be the modem
Standard User fender1105
(newbie) Mon 14-Jan-13 19:38:40
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

could anyone tell me what might be making my fibre drop out this is the error log from my sky hub

Jan 14 18:52:26 syslog: BusyBox v1.17.2
Jan 14 18:52:45 syslog: No lease renewal received
Jan 14 18:54:02 syslog: No lease renewal received
Jan 14 18:55:09 syslog: DHCP lease expired. -> DISCOVERY 3600
Jan 14 18:55:11 syslog: Clear IP addresses. IP connection DOWN.
Jan 14 18:55:14 syslog: eth0 - WAN link UP.
Jan 14 19:26:57 syslog: Lease renewed 3600 ip 94.12.5.62
Jan 14 19:29:57 syslog: Send out NTP request to ntp1.isp.sky.com
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Thu 17-Jan-13 23:39:16
Print Post

That tells you very little. The connection was down at the time the Sky Hub tried to renew the WAN IP address. It came back shortly afterwards. The Hub wouldn't know why - only the BT modem and the BT FTTC DSLAM will know why.

Standard User fender1105
(newbie) Fri 18-Jan-13 00:46:17
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Just out of interest who co figs the line is it sky or open reach because when I had this problem I phoned sky and my line speed was dropped from 40mb to 35mb and then had a phone call the next day and was told init was a problem at the exchange and it had been going on for 3 days

I ask can i have my line put back to 40mb and they told me they can't and that's all the line a run at but I no my line can run up to about 74mb and when I told sky this they said they have no way of reconfig my line speed but yesterday it went back to 40mb but dose any 1know if FTTC is like ADSL if the serve goes down and then back on then off and so on will the line speed get dropped because the DSLAM thinks your line has a problem at that speed
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to