User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User snoz
(experienced) Fri 18-Jan-13 18:47:37
Print Post

Bt infinty enabled sky fibre not

[link to this post]

Hi

My exchange was due to go live with BT infinity on 31st of march 2013, but it seems they already have done it, I checked BT openreach wholesale checker today and it says :

Telephone Number XXXX on Exchange DEVONPORT is served by Cabinet 14

WBC FTTC Up to 69 Up to 20 -- Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17 -- 10 to 19.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 17 Up to 1.5 10 to 19.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available

Not wanting to go with BT (never again since the 56k days!) I checked sky;s fibre offer, but it says there I cant get fibre with them. My exchange is LLU by them as I used to be a ukonline member before moving to BE there.

Anyway my question is any idea the delay with BT infinity going live and SKY offering their fibre products, I spoke to SKY sales but they seemed not to have any idea. Anyone have experience of this and how long it took or anyway to find out some ETA ?

Thanks
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Jan-13 21:01:09
Print Post

Re: Bt infinty enabled sky fibre not

[re: snoz] [link to this post]

Sometimes FTTC is enabled in an exchange but the SKY FTTC is not. This is normally because SKY need to link from the BT FTTC to their network in the exchange and this is not always done straight away. Until SKY do this you can not order Sky FTTC.

If you are not desperate, wait a month and try again.

IanD
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Mon 21-Jan-13 00:20:31
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

As Ian says, the checker is showing you that you can currently order FTTC from an ISP that uses the BT Wholesale network. BT Openreach have installed the FTTC equipment and the link to the BT Wholesale network is live.

Sky use their own network rather than BT Wholesale's. There is a variable delay between BT Wholesale and Sky FTTC being live. BT Openreach are likely to be able to provide the connection(s) quickly, but Sky may need to upgrade their network to your exchange first, which can take a while.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Jan-13 07:38:19
Print Post

[re: snoz] [link to this post]

Sky don't usually take too long. It is variable but sometimes it's as soon as a day or as long as a month.
Generally sooner rather than later smile

In most cases (not in yours) Sky have the link installed in advance so by the time fibre becomes active on infinity Sky also can offer it too.

The link installed links all of the green cabs in your area to Skys equipment in your local telephone exchange. So Sky fibre goes directly via Skys backhaul like their LLU service. Much better as Sky generally have much better backhaul in place and can cope with totally unlimited without slowdowns.

BT infinity has pretty heavy throttling.

I have BT infinity and Sky Fibre at home. My work provide infinity for free so I thought why the hell not... I can thus compare the two quite well.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 21-Jan-13 18:59:16
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
BT infinity has pretty heavy throttling.

I've never noticed any! Do you mean on P2P only (I never use this) ?

I have BT infinity and Sky Fibre at home. My work provide infinity for free so I thought why the hell not... I can thus compare the two quite well.

Then you'll be able to tell me the difference, as I'm still wondering about switching when my contract is up.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Jan-13 05:51:44
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Throttling is on p2p and VPN can be a little odd on BT.

The difference hmmmm. I actually find the BT connection more reliable (has never gone off) vs Sky which has a couple of times.

On the whole though both connections are pretty rock solid, stable, both homehub and sky hub are pretty good at being set it and forget it devices.

Not a lot to compare really both perform just as good. Sky has my higher ranking due to no throttling and things just 'feeling' quicker.
  Print Thread

Jump to