User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User george1976
(newbie) Sun 20-Jan-13 18:52:02
Print Post

Future Sky fibre instalation

[link to this post]

Good evening

I will have Sky Fibre 40/20 installed next week, and the position where I like the router to be placed it's not close to the master socket, about 15m if the cable it's pulled close to the walls.
Can someone tell me please if the Openreach engineer will pull this cable as part of the installation or do I need to order myself some ethernet cable just in case?

Thank you
Standard User mysticeddy
(regular) Sun 20-Jan-13 19:09:35
Print Post

Re: Future Sky fibre instalation

[re: george1976] [link to this post]

They do provide up to 30m of cable to allow you to separate the two devices. However, it can be handy for this to be included on your order so the engineer brings the kit with them on installation day.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 20-Jan-13 21:00:47
Print Post

[re: mysticeddy] [link to this post]

The 30m of cable they supply is NOT between the openreach modem and Sky router, but between the master socket in the house, and a data extension socket the engineer can install, into which the Openreach modem can subsequently install.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User george1976
(newbie) Mon 21-Jan-13 22:43:25
Print Post

Thanks for the answers guys.
Standard User george1976
(newbie) Thu 24-Jan-13 10:51:47
Print Post

The installation was completed today.
A nice guy from Kelly arrived, put a new faceplate on the socket, with 2 ports, he said that there is no need for micro-filters and that the same wires are used, connected the modem, done the job at the cabinet, connected the router with the ethernet cable I provided and that was it.
He didn't have like one of those tools that measure signal levels, attenuation, noise etc.
Did a check on a mobile phone and told me that my line will support 10Mb upload out of the 20 promised because of the exchange. My postcode is SM1.
The results are:
Wired computer shows on Xilo server on speedtest.net 37Mb download/ 9Mb upload.
Wireless connected laptop, on the same server, 32Mb down/ 9Mb up.
I am happy for the moment, I hope to have no problems at all smile
Standard User simon194
(committed) Thu 24-Jan-13 11:47:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by george1976:
Did a check on a mobile phone and told me that my line will support 10Mb upload out of the 20 promised because of the exchange. My postcode is SM1.

The 10 meg upload is all it will support of the 40/10 product, 20 meg upload is only on the Fibre Pro (80/20) product.
  Print Thread

Jump to