User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ramit
(newbie) Sun 03-Feb-13 20:01:01
Print Post

Predicated Speed on Sky Fibre vs Predicated on BT Wholesale

[link to this post]

All,

I am currently with Sky broadband and looking to upgrade to fibre optic. The problem I have is that on the BT site the estimated max speed for the line is 40Mb whilst on Sky its 33.1

Surely they should be the same, as its essentially BT installing it?

Is this likely to be an error, or is there really a difference in the max line speed between providers?
The other odd thing is that if I look at BT wholesale or BT Infinity checker for my house or the houses on either side of me it says 40mb.

However on Sky's website, the two houses on either side to me say max speed of 33.1-40, but mine says only 33.1mb......

If the speed really is likely to be higher with BT, then I may be better going to them.. but the above is just making things a little unclear
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Sun 03-Feb-13 20:38:13
Print Post

Re: Predicated Speed on Sky Fibre vs Predicated on BT Wholes

[re: ramit] [link to this post]

I'm not sure how the two organisations are coming up with different predicted speeds for the same line, but the underlying BT Openreach FTTC connection doesn't care which provider you subscribe with. It synchronises at the maximum of the ordered speed and the attainable speed on your line, irrespective of the provider you subscribe to.

Standard User ramit
(newbie) Sun 03-Feb-13 23:15:13
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

So in reality, are you saying it does not matter whether I choose sky or bt, the max speed the line can handle will be the same?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Feb-13 00:12:22
Print Post

[re: ramit] [link to this post]

Yes assuming they order the same

40/2
40/10
or
80/20 product from Openreach

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to