User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User vf12vf
(regular) Mon 04-Feb-13 13:33:23
Print Post

Newsgorup Download speeds

[link to this post]

Hey all, in the daytime my Fibre connection is back to normal so i tried downloading something from the Newsgroup network, however when downloading it never seemed to go over 27.00Mbps when speed tests show the network is providing

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2485188227.png

i have tried to diff news clients (newsleecher & Newsbin) but both stall at the 27 mark.
i have checked all setting and made sure the correct max bandwidth has been input in the options and i am not sure what it could be.
Its writing to a 1TB F3 spinpoint, could that be the bottleneck?
or has Sky capped the download speed to certain ports?

i have tried alternative ports but the same situation.

Any suggestions?

Thx

any suggestions
Standard User chubsta
(member) Tue 05-Feb-13 12:42:24
Print Post

Re: Newsgorup Download speeds

[re: vf12vf] [link to this post]

Who is your NG provider? Over the last week or so i have noticed about 20% drop in speeds on Astraweb - around 7.8Mbs when previously i was getting 9.3Mbs.

My speedtests are remaining the same so not sure what is happening... I usually get 20 files at once as this helps keep the speed steady, perhaps you are being throttled per thread and need to increase to the maximum number?
Standard User Rygar1
(experienced) Tue 05-Feb-13 12:50:43
Print Post

Tried some big news group downloads on Newshosting when I first got Sky Fibre Pro around 3 weeks ago and was maxing* out my connection at around 50Mb. Havent tried since then though.

*Maxing out at what my connection is currently capable of due to being one of the customers affected by the "half-speed" throughput issue. I sync at 80Mb.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vf12vf
(regular) Tue 05-Feb-13 17:35:10
Print Post

[re: chubsta] [link to this post]

i use
Usenet-news

perhaps i should email and ask what thier max download capacity is...

no too bothered at the moment cos i too am affected by the Sky over capacity slowdown frown

Internet unusable in the evening after 8pm

Edited by vf12vf (Tue 05-Feb-13 17:43:53)

Standard User speedyrite
(regular) Tue 05-Feb-13 17:58:44
Print Post

Have you asked Sky if they have an estimated fix date for the backhaul congestion problem at your exchange?
Standard User vf12vf
(regular) Tue 05-Feb-13 21:42:20
Print Post

[re: speedyrite] [link to this post]

got a follow up call from sky yesterday, just to tell me they know what the problem is and that they will be fixing it!
could be 2 weeks or longer...no firm date given so it could go on for weeks / months!

i did however Email the CEO's office at sky and got a reply today from the executives office saying that they will look in to it, i said that if it doesnt get fixed quickly i will move my telephone, broadband and TV away from sky. it may get a result but i suppose that there are limits to what they can do in certain timeframe....
tonight its not been too bad, was playing Battlefiled 3 and got kicked from server for high ping, speedtests are reporting good things but it fluctates so much that the connection goes from good to bad in seconds, then back to good again.

will keep my fingers crossed for a result!

regarding my original post here, my newsgroup service said that i should get 40mb down if its available and to try more connections, currently i use 12 but will try more when i next use it in the daytime....

Edited by vf12vf (Tue 05-Feb-13 21:45:34)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Feb-13 21:45:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by vf12vf:
i did however Email the CEO's office at sky and got a reply today from the executives office saying that they will look in to it, i said that if it doesnt get fixed quickly i will move my telephone, broadband and TV away from sky. it may get a result but i suppose that there are limits to what they can do in certain timeframe....

Enjoy trying to move the TV - yes, plenty of ISP services, plenty of phone services, but the Sky TV service (especially HD) is so much better than the competition. In picture quality and content; depending which channels you buy. (me, I'm basic entertainment pack+HD - love Sky Atlantic - and an ex-Virgin Media customer, with BT phone and BT Infinity ISP).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User vf12vf
(regular) Tue 05-Feb-13 21:47:30
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

i dont have HD, just Sky+ basic package.

i am prepared to take the wraith of the wife and kids to prove a point to sky, if i do cancel the TV as well then i will probably rejoin further into the year and take advantage of one of thier new customer deals smile
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Feb-13 22:03:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by vf12vf:
i am prepared to take the wraith of the wife and kids to prove a point to sky, if i do cancel the TV as well then i will probably rejoin further into the year and take advantage of one of thier new customer deals smile

LOL, careful with that, you might need to use your wife's name smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
  Print Thread

Jump to