User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User aromadome
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Feb-13 21:10:53
Print Post

New flat wired to Virgin :( can I switch to Sky cable?

[link to this post]

Hi all

Just bought my new flat in East London which is currently "cabled" up to Virgin Media. I've been reading all the horror stories on the Virgin forum and really don't want to subscribe to them for broadband!

Is it easy to switch to Sky cable or will I have to stick with Virgin (or maybe just get a Sky landline/broadband package?)

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Adam
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Feb-13 21:34:06
Print Post

Re: New flat wired to Virgin :( can I switch to Sky cable?

[re: aromadome] [link to this post]

Not using the Virgin line; that's exclusively for Virgin cable phone + BB.

You will need to get Sky landline + BB installed (or any BTw landline & BB from any number of ISPs).

But are you sure you have Virgin Cable there? They also do ADSL BB over BTw landlines at places their cable don't reach.

EDIT: Forgot no landline: What do you get if you put your landline # in here: https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/adslchecker.w... ?

What exchange are you on?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Wed 06-Feb-13 22:37:17)

Standard User aromadome
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Feb-13 22:23:06
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Ah ok that's a pity. The connection is just 2MB right now! Maybe I've just become a "heavy user" or their service is rubbish. Or both. Am using the previous owners connection (with their permission - we haven't finished exchange yet).

No landline here although I could get Sky broadband via a new landline. That shows speeds of 9.5-14MB with no limits.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Feb-13 22:35:41
Print Post

[re: aromadome] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by aromadome:
The connection is just 2MB right now!
Doesn't sound like Virgin Cable; more like a slow Virgin ADSL.

Put their post code in: https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/ADSLChecker.p... and report back what it says.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to